What is wrong with the signal on 99CA TPN18?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Jun 12, 2019 at 2:39 PM.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I have learned to avoid recording programs on SHO East because the recordings can have quite a few spots with digital pixelation. Recently, I recorded the HBO show Chernobyl (a great show). The first two episodes I recorded on HBO2 East, and the remaining three episodes on HBO East. The first two episodes were full of digital pixelation, but not the last theee. Upon examination, I see both SHO East and HBO2 East are on 99CA TPN18. I see that AMC, TBS and SYFY are also on 99CA TPN18. While I am currently not recording any shows on these three channels, my bet is that I would see pixelation on those channels as well.

Looking at the signal strength of this transponder, I am registering a 95% signal. What could be causing the issues on 99CA TPN18 if it isn’t a signal strength issue? Could an equipment issue in my setup be so selective as to only affect one transponder? Signal quality issues continue to frustrate me, because I can never figure out what is wrong.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Are you sure it is just the one transponder? Do you regularly watch other channels on 99ca?

If you haven't already tried it, try replacing your LNB. It is possible it is defective in some way, and worst case if it doesn't solve the problem you have a known-to-be-good spare.

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    A reverse-band LNB lists for $79.99 at Solid Signal, which is not bad. However, I am reluctant to replace it myself, fearing that I might affect my near-perfect dish alignment. Since I am paying for a maintenance contract with DTV, I wonder if they will replace it for me if I place a service call and describe the issue I am having.

Can a LNB be replaced without affecting the alignment?

4. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I have pixilation on HBO shows all the time. Its not listed as a cadie issue with DTV that I know of but I have seen enough people with the same problems that it should be.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You can get them for $20 and free shipping on eBay...

6. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Next time you see the issue, note whether you are watching HBO or HBO2. In my experience, the issue occurs on the latter.

7. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I had it on HBO and then after a period of three months it got suddenly worst and was happening on multiple channels then two weeks later complete freezes lasting 30 secs or more started up on random channels. I did what I should have done earlier and replaced my SWM module. Problem solved.

8. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I asked the question earlier and received no answer—can the LNB be easily replaced without affecting the dish alignment? I am not sure that a replacement Reverse LNB would be the exact same make/model, and if it attaches differently, would that not affect alignment?

9. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Attaches the same way.
    Should not affect alignment if you're careful to not move the dish.

JerryMeeker likes this.
  10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, changing an LNB is easy. In most cases it involves removing two phillips head screws and nuts, sliding the LNB out a few inches so you can disconnect the coax, connecting the coax to the new LNB, sliding it in and replacing the screws and nuts. All of that can easily be done without moving the main dish or affecting alignment. I think some newer dishes or LNBs have some type of clamping device to hold the LNB as opposed to the screws, but the rest of the process is the same. You'll probably need a 7/16 inch open end wrench (or equivalent) to loosen the coax. When reconnecting, don't over tighten, just barely more than finger tight (but make sure it is threaded all the way down).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 11:36 PM
    JerryMeeker likes this.
  11. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Looks like I am good to go with trying a LNB replacement. Here is a pic of the current LNB (the 3-satellite model):

IMG_0488.jpg

And here is the exact part on Solid Signal. They agree that I should be able to swap LNB's without affecting my satellite alignment. I'll report back WRT whether the new LNB cleans up the signal issues I have been seeing. Wish me luck!

Solid Signal LNB.PNG

12. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I had a SWM16 and swapped it for a 22 tuner 2nd Gen Digital SWM3, same issue, then tried a Reverse Band 3 just to see. Same issue on all 3, its not the equipment I see a ton of DTV customers that have the same issue. Glad yours stopped.

13. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Did you check the cable from the SWM to the splitter?
    I have seen issues like this on other dishes so I keep a 100ft length of cable in my parts box. I stretch it out through a window and check if that cable fixes any issues. I have learned that an ohm or volt meter is not very reliable on intermittent signal problems.

14. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I also keep a long coax cable for such tests. Since I replaced the coax when the reverse band LNB was installed a year ago, I have not performed this test yet.

15. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes when I changed the SWM16 out i pulled all 4 of the old lines (which are only about 3 years old and not exposed to the elements except where the come out of the siding and over the gutter up to the dish) out and replaced them with a new perfect vision solid copper single coax with #17 attached. Like I said I see this problem enough to know it is not an equipment issue.