1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your reason for refusing to over the phone troubleshoot?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by MrQuestions, Nov 10, 2017.

1. MrQuestions

MrQuestions New Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Hey! Just kind of curious here; I troubleshoot with DirecTV over the phone and I go through pretty smoothly. I’ve had a couple agents (in small talk) say that it’s hard to get a customer to troubleshoot because they constantly refuse.

Why would YOU refuse to troubleshoot when you call in?

And even then, I think that’s pretty sad. You should ALWAYS troubleshoot no matter what.

Because if you don’t have insurance, it could cost you.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I’ve already done everything they could ever walk me through. But I tell them I’m doing it all again, even though I’m not.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    1. If you have a physical problem some of the things to do are difficult. You just want them to come and fix it.

2. By the time you call you are already angry and just want your equipment replaced.

3. You have already tried all of the things the CSR is going to tell you to do. Some of the stuff is just not a possibility of the problem. I remember when my HR23 died. I could smell that something had burned. I unplugged it and plugged it into an outlet that currently had a small lamp plugged into it and it was working. Still nothing. After going thru all the things that required power to perform the lady asked me to go check the breakers to see if a breaker had tripped.
    Hello, I just told you that I plugged it into an outlet that had a working lamp and still nothing happens.

4. Some people are just not into trying to fix something they pay others for. It is not working, it's your equipment, come fix it or send me something to swap out to fix it.

5. There are a lot of people that have a problem that can easily be fixed over the phone if the CSR knows how. My friend has an HR44 that for some reason her grand kids did something to her remote and she could not change channels with it any longer. She called me and told me she had been on the phone with DTV for half an hour and they were sending her a new remote for a $20 shipping fee. I told her how to reset the remote and then how to pair that remote to that DVR and then stepped her thru programming it for her TV. Just took 4 or 5 minutes.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Many people on this site are far more experienced and knowledgeable with DIRECTV equipment then the hordes of script reading CSRs and have taken all the troubleshooting steps before calling DIRECTV. It's counter productive and time consuming to repeat the troubleshoot steps only to achieve the same result again. That's why some of us refuse to troubleshoot when calling DIRECTV and just tell the CSR what they want to hear.

5. MrQuestions

MrQuestions New Member

Nov 10, 2017
    I don’t think you should do that. Even though some steps may seem redundant and even though some things may seem way out of line, there’s a reason they have you do what they are asking you to do. I’d always troubleshoot because there’s always a necessary step that you could be missing regardless.

6. MrQuestions

MrQuestions New Member

Nov 10, 2017
    CSRs aren’t the ones who take your tech calls. The tech support reps are. Even still, sat/cable companies go through various training sessions with hands on equipment and detailed instructions on various error codes and signal codes. It’s always good to troubleshoot regardless.

But I see where you’re coming from.

7. MrQuestions

MrQuestions New Member

Nov 10, 2017
    If you honestly get angry because your equipment stops working and you’re not going to troubleshoot, I’d just contact chat support.

I did customer service for an internet company for 3 years and I know personally that it’s the most frustrating thing to have somebody refuse to troubleshoot and get angry and yell.

Yes, it is their equipment. But it’s still a service provided to you by that company. Fixing your phone for example is not free. When you troubleshoot and have to send your phone in for repair, it still costs. Even though it’s technically apples/androids/windows equipment, you still have to pay for those services.

Now, in a situation where you have a protection/insurance service, it’ll cover some of the costs and in some situations all of the costs.

But it costs a lot of money to replace a $350 receiver for free.

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yep, Chat on here for real answers or work arounds.
    I have only called when my receivers were DEAD. I do not yell. They can not help it if they are not fully trained.

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If they ever offered something that hadn’t been tried, I’d try it, but I have usually checked and done more than they would ever suggest or have their script ask me to do. I am not normal, I can install and have a level of knowledge on this stuff beyond almost any front line csr, even second line csr, not to mention the,”techs” are not techs you talk to. That’s a dream. They are just csrs in a different department. They have no real dtv technical training, not the ones you generally talk to. I know they make it sound like they do, but they do not. It’s nearly impossible to speak to a real engineer at DIRECTV.

The steps they walk you through on the phone are all in a script they are required to follow and not allowed to deviate from. No actual tech would be locked into that as a process. That’s not to say someone working in that department isn’t technically knowledgeable, but they are not run through any real detailed training on DIRECTV hardware and installations and how it all works from a technical standpoint and then taught how to troubleshoot things based on all that.

I agree with you for 99% of the DIRECTV users out there, but there’s plenty of people on this site that just know more than any csr/“phone tech” does. In fact often times, people find that we here can fix problems with peoples systems that a DIRECTV tech on the phone, or chat, or even installers who come to your home, can’t fix.

It’s the nice part about this forum!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017