1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of phone were you using 10 years ago?

Discussion in 'IPTV Hardware' started by Chris Blount, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    With the evolution of phones its amazing what we were using around 10 years ago. I think I was on Sprint using one of their Samsung phones.

sprintphone.gif

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    It was about y2k, my first phone was a [strike]Nokia[/strike] Ericsson mini-brick with about a 2" antenna. The carrier was PacTel > Airtouch. The battery life sucked, but I bought spare batteries...

The good old days.

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    same phone I use now, Landline... was pulse dial then ($2.43 credit for non touchtone) :lol:

4. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    A Nextel i1000 if I remember right. I actually liked that phone. It was solid as a rock, plus I do miss the Direct Connect(but not the lack of coverage).

5. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    It was a Motorola flip phone the size of a brick. Only the bottom part flipped. I was on a .23 per minute plan through my work and very seldom used the phone. I had to pay a non-refundable $60.00 to my work so they could have a fund if employees did not pay their bill. I remember how mad I would get when I got a wrong number.
    I was on US West Cellular that changed to whatever was Verizon, before it was Verizon.

6. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    I was using the motorola startac from alltel. paid around $400 w/ a 1-yr contract. They were so heavy and brittle, when dropped it would immediately shatter. Back then, you could walk in to alltel w/ a damaged phone and walk out 20 minutes later with a new one, no questions asked (if under warranty). i went through almost 20 of them in a 12 month period; i finally had to get something else because i was spending too much time at the replacement desk.

apparently, i wasn't the only one swapping them out regularly, as they had a huge container at the replacement desk with what looked like a couple hundred unpackaged startac's every time i went in.

7. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    It was 1989 when I used my first cell phone. My boss (owner of the company) at the time let me borrow his when we were moving into our home that we just built.

Verizon could not hook us up for about a week after we were to move in because they were on strike, so he let me borrow his so we would have a phone in case of an emergency. It was a Motorola 'bag phone'.

Here is a picture of what it looked like:

[​IMG]

8. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008

That was also my first cell phone! it was a hand-me-down from my mom when i turned 16. I had the in-car mount for the handset, and kept that bag stashed under the seat of my truck.

I went from that phone to the startac, and only because alltel refused to reprogram the bag phone when they changed our area code. no technical reason why could be given, only that it was "too old" to be updated.

9. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I had a Qualcomm QCP-860 way back when ...

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/thin-phone/support.cfm

Great phone - couldn't kill it!

10. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 18, 2005
    Moto StarTac. It seemed hi-tech at the time. I had a belt holster too!

11. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Land line from Verizon back then
    Land line from Comcast now