1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What movie channels are in Dolby Digital 5.1?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by killzone, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. killzone

killzone AllStar

Dec 27, 2006
    Do any of the movie channels (besides the HD ones) have a DD 5.1 audio track? I was checking out some movies on TMC, Encore and a couple of other channels and they were all broadcast in PCM. I think I found a couple of channels in DD 2.0 but the only 5.1 I could find was on HD channels.

Is this pretty much the case accross all the channels? I know that not all movies have a DD 5.1 track however, one such movie that was in PCM was Sin City and that definitely has a 5.1 track.

2. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    300 HBO
    303 HBO West

318 Showtime
    319 Showtime West

350 Starz
    351 Starz West

Those are the only movie channels in DD. Whether they are 2.0, 3.1 or 5.1 depends strictly on the content they are showing at the time. But they are always DD.

There are several DD PPV channels as well. Again 2.0, 3.1 and 5.1 are determined strictly by the content. Not all movies are produced with DD 5.1.

Hope this helps.

Tony

3. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I believe just about all hd channels are in dolby digital too.

4. William

William Legend

Oct 28, 2006
    All HD channels MUST be in DD. It is the only way to carry audio with an ATSC signal. While the rule only applies to OTA channels all forms of HD broadcasts follow it.

Also all the E* SD channels that don't have DD are broadcast in MPEG audio (or other proprietary format) that is converted to LPCM by the receiver.

5. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    But DD does not necessarily mean DD 5.1.

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.