1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What pieces do I need to add DECA/MRV to SWM?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Dixit, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dixit

Dixit Mentor

Mar 2, 2009
    I just moved into my new place after selling my old place. I had these 4 directv receivers at my old place

DirecTV boxes
    H23-600
    HR21-700
    HR22-100
    HR20-100

They were originally all setup at the old place without SWM, each of the HRs got dual coax wires and each receiver had a CAT5 LAN going to it and had it running through the MRV beta (which I also convinced DTV to let it continue with it not being supported).

Now Ive moved to my new place, there was already a Directv dish setup which happened to be a SWM setup already. So all 4 receivers are wired up using an approved SWM 4 in 1 splitter. So they all work fine. There is no way I can run LAN to each one since its an existing house. So since its SWM already, I was thinking of buying 4 DECA modules. But Im somewhat lost on what I need, Im seeing that I need some Band Stop filters, some say I dont. Then Im wondering lets say I really only want MRV (dont want internet), do I still need to buy the DirecTV Broadband adapter too?

Just trying to get all I need to at least get MRV going again. Theres no clear installation guide I can find, just that first look PDF. But cant tell if I need another power inserter (which seems to be for the broadband connector) or if I need to get a 8 and 1 splitter since the guide shows needing another port for the broadband adapter too.

Just to make sure Im proving everything as far as my current setup, the list of receivers are still the same. New place has a SWM LNB which single wire comes straight into the house, then goes to the Power Inserter, then goes to the 4 way splitter which then from there splits all ports used to the 4 receivers mentioned above.

Thanks for the help.

Dixit

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    4 DECAs

Do you want to connect to the Internet to get VoD? Then you'll need a broadband DECA - AKA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK). A CCK also comes in a wireless version.

3. Dixit

Dixit Mentor

Mar 2, 2009
    I really dont need the internet connection kit for the time being, really more the MRV as we use it a ton since we have a ton of shows recording on all these different receivers to keep from missing shows and other ones taking priority on a single receiver.

What about these band stops? Do I need them on all receivers? I guess I need 4 of those as well if the answer is yes.

Im also reading something about the HR20 not being able to power the DECA itself on a single wire, it has to be split again and one off the splitter goes to the SWM and the other end goes to the DECA and that end of the DECA goes to the SAT2 coax port.

I guess the 4way splitter can be left as is for now right?

Dixit

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yes there's a schematic somewhere here for the HR20-100.

5. Dixit

Dixit Mentor

Mar 2, 2009
    Heres the schematic for anyone else who wondering.

[​IMG]

So looks like I only need ONE bandstop which is required for the HR20 and an extra 2way splitter to wire up the HR20 side. Then just 4 DECAs as mentioned before.

Thanks
    Dixit

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Some things to check:
    What color is the label on the splitter? If it's green then the splitter is good.
    If silver then it isn't modified for DECA, so needs to be replaced.
    Check the SWiMLNB for another green sticker, if it doesn't have one, you'll need a bandstop filter for it.
    Four white DECAs are what you need for "just MRV".
    The HR20-100 does require a special configuration as shown here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177195

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    There is another way by moving the splitter behind the DECA and not needing the bandstop filter.

8. Dixit

Dixit Mentor

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks, guess that means I need to replace the 4way. Im fairly certain it wasnt a green one, it was a silver one. I dont believe the LNB is a green label one either. So guess the Band stop will get moved to then in front of the Power inserter on the LNB side, then 4 white DECAs, and another 2way splitter like you show behind the DECA on the HR20 side so no Band Stop there.

Time to go shopping for parts on ebay. Them green splitters are expensive these days....

Thanks again.

Dixit

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Think you're on the right track now.
    It doesn't sound/look like this original SWiM was installed in the last 19 months, which means it's pre DECA.
    The 2-way for the HR20-100 doesn't need to be "green", because the DECA isn't passing between outputs.

10. Dixit

Dixit Mentor

Mar 2, 2009
    Good deal. Thanks again VOS.

One last thing. Since Im going to be replacing the silver 4way with a green one, Im guessing I should just get an 8way since if I want to ever add the internet connection kit (aka broadband adapter), Im going to need the 5th port, or I have to get another green 2way that will need to be before going into say the HR21 or HR22 or H23 right?

Dixit

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Order another splitter when you need it don't build it in now or you're just increased your db loss for no reason.

If you ever get a CCK for the internet you could either do wireless or add a 1x2 at that time.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Many do this, but I'm not one of them. Doing this knocks the SWiM signal down by almost 5 dB.
    BTW: you have room for only one more "tuner" anyway.
    There are two other options if you need another port:
    1) simply use a 2-way down stream where you need it and have the same "added loss", but only on this one leg [instead of all legs].
    2) Go for the wireless CCK self install and it has a pass though [inline] mode that doesn't need a splitter or have the loss of one.

Here's how my setup was with four receivers:
    [​IMG]

13. Dixit

Dixit Mentor

Mar 2, 2009
    Very good points there Shades and VOS on not adding the 8way just for the extra port, the green 4way it is then and another 2way downstream if needed or like you said use the wireless kit.

Dixit

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    BTW the wireless can be used in a hardwired configuration too. It's just the only one currently with two coax ports.