1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What receiver models should I get

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by c_l_phillips72, Jul 16, 2017.

1. c_l_phillips72

c_l_phillips72 New Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Hi all. New here, so please excuse my ignorance.

I've already placed an order for DirecTV but I wasn't really clear about the equipment that was ordered, and I'd prefer to have the correct devices here during the first install so another appointment isn't necessary.

What would be the best device for the following setup:
    A). Family Room
    1). 1080p TV
    2). 4k projector
    B). Living room
    1). 4k TV
    C). Master Bedroom
    1). 1080p TV
    D). Kids play room
    1). 1080p TV

The main coax line enters my house in the utility room downstairs, right next to my family room. All of my equipment is stored in a rack in that room, including the modem/router and other AV equipment, and are accessed through a wall separating those 2 rooms.

The coax in my living room was only ran to above the fireplace, but we don't put our TV there, so a wireless device would be necessary unless the installer could run coax between floor joists in the basement. Running coax would be possible as the joists are exposed in the utility room, going in the right direction, and I see the joists where both the Master Bedroom and Living Room coax has been ran.

The coax in the master bedroom is terminated at the height of electrical boxes below where the TV is mounted. Maybe the installer could extend the coax up and behind the TV. If not, again a wireless device would be necessary, or run a new coax as stated above.

The coax in the kids play room is easily accessible.

I mention the coax because I'm not sure if 4k can go over wireless, and I'm not sure of DirecTv's policies about running new coax in between walls and floor joists. If neither can be done, then maybe I'll only be able to get 4k on my projector, which would be an acceptable compromise.

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    With two 4K sets, your best choice is the HS17 (Genie 2) with applicable clients. I would highly recommend wired if at all possible, but installers rarely do inside wiring. It can support wireless 4K. Typically a wrap around the outside and bring it in to the room you need it. With open joists in the basement, inside is a possibility. The HS17 is the only device that can support two 4K sets simultaneously, and can support five televisions running simultaneously.

However, the HS17 is new, and is not yet in full nationwide release. That is expected to happen very soon though. Worth waiting for.

c_l_phillips72 likes this.
  3. c_l_phillips72

Jul 16, 2017
    Thank you for your response. That sounds like it would meet our needs perfectly. I'll check with DirecTV to see if that's an option in my area.

4. c_l_phillips72

Jul 16, 2017
    One thing I just remembered. The 4k TV in our living room is a DirecTv 4k ready tv. Does that mean I don't need a box there, and use an app on the TV itself instead? If that were the case, it would eliminate the possible need of running coax to it if the HS17 isn't available yet.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    A "DirecTV 4K Ready" television can serve directly as an RVU client. There are pros and cons. Some brands of TV implement that very well, while some do not. Also, DirecTV keeps their client software updated better than most television makers do. My recommendation is to get a C61K client box for that TV and not use the built in capability. The monthly cost is the same whether you use the TV's RVU client, or a separate DirecTV client. However, you can certainly use the TV's RVU client directly if you wish to. Either way, you will need the coax run.