What should ask for when upgrading to Hopper 3?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jerrym303, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Jerrym303

Jerrym303 Cool Member

Jan 22, 2008
    We have two VIP722k's that are starting to act up, so we may need to move to a Hopper.

We use our two 722's on 5 different TVs using a distribution system. So, Dish may see us as a 2-TV home, but we have 5.

We are not under contract and customers since 2012. Excellent credit.

We want to end up with a Hopper 3 and one Joey3.

I have seen comments that if you tell Dish that you have only 2 OR 3 TVs, they may not want to provide free Hopper 3 and try to sub a Duo instead or charge for the H3.

Would it make sense for me to indicate, say 4 TVs and take a H3 +2 Joeys and then cut off one of the Joeys and send it back in a few months?

Thanks in advance.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    why not mention all your 5 TV and tell them you're interesting in H3+J4K now ?
    adding: perhaps you'll get more J4K or Js in a future ..

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    If you would use a Hopper3 on main TV and a Joey / joey 4K on all the others.....

This would get you HD /4K at all TVs. Or, all the Joeys (and the Hoppers) come with composite video / analog audio output as well as the HDMI. Point being - all TVs could watch their own shows.

4. Jerrym303

Jerrym303 Cool Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Well, I'm not hearing that I need to ask for more Joeys to get the H3.

Scooper, I have HDMI and IR cabling done so that we can watch either of our current 722's at any of the 5 TVs, all controlled by Harmony IR remotes. The new setup of H3+J3 will complicate things a bit due to the IR remote address 1 limitation. We will need to run either the H3 or J3 with the Dish RF remote.

Thanks.

5. Jerrym303

Jerrym303 Cool Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Worked out Ok. Chat wanted me to pay $100 Hopper upgrade fee and $95 install fee. Retention got rid of both of those and reduced my monthly by $12. I'm sure that others have done better, but this works.

dennispap likes this.
  6. BreadDawg

BreadDawg Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Deep South
    Nice, I think you will really enjoy the Hopper 3.