1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I expect in upgrading to HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Mark20, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    Tuesday (probably depending on the weather; we're expecting snow) I am having one of my two R15 DVR's upgraded to HD, one will stay.

I know I'll need a new dish on the roof. Will they need to replace the multi switch?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes, they will replace your switch.

If the weather is going to be bad, seriously consider rescheduling (by Monday afternoon). If your dish needs to be on the roof, and it isn't accessable from a ladder (i.e., you have to walk the roof), they probably won't do it anyway.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    IF those are your only receivers (the two DVRs), you will probably get a new dish with a regular (not SWM) LNB. That LNB has four outputs, so you should not need any multiswitch. Two lines to each DVR, and you're done.

4. Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    Yes only two TV's in the house. (We're old fashioned and keep them out of the bedrooms ;-) ) It would be convenient if it get's setup so I can add another receiver for my basement office by just connecting to a multi-switch. Just started regretting turning in the ancient Hughes box for recycling. Could have used that with the small flat screen we take in the camper.

Eventually when the other room goes HD I'll swap that receiver for a HD-DVR one.

Called D* (got the Georgia call center) to see about possibly rescheduling. The CSR's recommendation is to call back on Monday and ask if its cancelled before requesting a reschedule. We also had a nice discussion about the flakes that started falling down there. She went in early to make sure she was there before it got worse. Over an inch on the ground in northeast of Philly where I am. Worse across the river in New Jersey.

5. Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    Wind blew most of the snow off the roof and area around the dish was clear. Still took about three hours. HR24-100! Four lines down from the dish to a 6x8 multi-switch in the basement. Need to check the R15 to make sure its still alive. (It is! Reconfigured it for a SL3 but that doesn't make a difference.)