What stores know about us from using our Credit or Debit cards at checkout

Discussion in 'The OT' started by jimmie57, Dec 23, 2018.

1. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There are 2 items that I have bought in the store ( Walmart ) for the last 7 years that I needed. The store had stopped stocking them but they showed them on the web to order. I ordered them and got free shipping so all was well.
    Yesterday I needed to order them again. I went to the website and it showed my name at the top right of the screen. I noticed somewhere there was a Reorder option to click on. I did that, expecting to see those 2 items that I had used my computer to order recently.
    Nope, The page populated with everything I had bought from Walmart in the last few months. I was not expecting that to happen.
    So when there is a data breach at a store / business the thieves know even our buying habits ?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Google and Amazon know just about everything I buy. And where I go. Doesn't disturb me.

Rich

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I believe one reason Home Depot doesn’t want to activate Apple Pay is they now record purchase history based on credit card numbers. If you buy stuff at Home Depot, go online, and create an online account. Then add your credit card you use in store and bam, you’ll have full access to every purchase you have made at Home Depot for the last few years. It’s why I don’t worry about having receipts at Home Depot anymore. And if you use more than one credit card, you can add them all and search them all.

Everyone is going to this. This kind of thing has been happening since sometime in the 90s but now, it’s easier. When I worked for good guys years ago, we always asked for people phone numbers. That way we could look up any purchase if they didn’t have a receipt. It’s what they do with memberships at stores, like Costco.

I’m with Rich. I like it.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, haven't kept a receipt for quite some time. We went to a ShopRite yesterday when we got home there was a message on my tablet asking if I liked the ShopRite. Amazing.

Rich

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Walmart has been doing internal credit card tracking for decades. But it is a little bit more shocking when it's released to the public and people didn't know it was going on.