What the hell! Another feature discontinued?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jborchel, Jul 16, 2019.

1. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    We arrived today at my daughter's house to babysit her two kids. We've done this before. I brought my laptop so I could watch my Giants tonight on the computer as she only has OTA stations on her tv. The Giants are on one of the regional sports channels, 696, so not broadcast OTA. After struggling with the dtv player I finally got it to work with a little help from tech support, only to find that 696 was not available for streaming. No was MLB network. That's all I tried.

When did this happen. Was this ever announced? Reduced coverage for streaming of your normal satillite stations? Last winter I was able to watch 696 at her house with no problem.

2. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007

Don't assume it was necessarily a D* decision or fault. I have been trying to stream some hockey games on a ATT regional sports channel but the hockey games are not available for streaming even if you have a subscription to the channel on D* or any other cable channel that carries it. These rights change year to year so it may have been possible last year but not this year.

3. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
  4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    696 is a NBC Sports RSN. Try streaming it using the NBC Sports app instead. If you’re using a computer go to NBCsports.com. You’ll have to use your D* credentials to log in.

Rich and SamC like this.
  5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Were you able to watch other shows from your DIRECTV account at their house on your computer? I haven't tried it lately, but one workaround from the nomad era was to set your game to record and then 5 minutes into the game, stream that from your location.

6. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    This is correct. Also, since the OP uses the term "arrive" are we certain his daughter lives in the Giants' region?

7. forecheck

forecheck Legend

Jun 13, 2002
    Yeah, MLB is the only one with that restriction

NBC Sports App FAQ

8. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    And yet you can’t opt out of their mandatory RSN fees. DTV is a dinosaur on its way out.

9. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    You can lower your package to get rid of it. Also not aware of any cable company that lets you opt out of those fees. They just bake it into your package price

DishCSR likes this.