1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do w/ old HR20-100?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by EricRobins, Sep 18, 2012.

1. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    I have a failing HR20-100 that D* is replacing. While they normally ask for the old IRDs back (to be returned in the same box the new one is shipped in), they told me NOT to return this one.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with it? How big is the HDD? Can I sell it?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've been told they make good door stops and paperweights.

3. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    OP - as someone w/2 of these relics, did they mention anything about wanting the access card(s) back on yours per chance???

4. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Had an H10 and an HR20.
    Was sent a pair of HR21's, and told NOT to return the old units, but that a return mailer for the access card would be enclosed in the replacement boxes.
    The replacement for the H10 had an envelope but the HR20 did not.
    I called and asked them what they wanted me to do.
    They said nothing, not even to bother sending back the card for the one provided.
    That when I activated each replacement, they were tied to, and would simultaneously deactivate the respective replaced unit access card.
    I also asked about transferring (I was going to give to a friend) the HR20, and was told that I could re-activate it on my account, but that it could not be issued a new access card and could not be activated on another account.
    The oldest HR20's had 250GB drives, the later models had 320GB.
    I'm keeping mine in the basement storage room in case DirecTV decides different than what the CSR told me, and will charge me a non-return fee, if I don't send the unit back.

5. ladannen

ladannen Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I'm doing exactly the same thing. I had my HR20-100 replaced with a HR24-500 about 6 weeks ago. The CSR told me they don't want it back. A return box or envelope to return the access card has never been received, but I'll hold onto the box until I cancel Directv (for many years if I have to) in case they change their mind.

6. fyredawg

fyredawg New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Curious as to why?

7. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Because I'm getting ready to disco from D*, & I've got hours of unwatched shows to watch off the HDD's - which you CAN do on an inactive receiver, as long as it still has it's card. (& you disco it from the dish BEFORE you cancel...)

8. fyredawg

fyredawg New Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I see thanks.