What to do with old equipment?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ejhuzy, May 27, 2009.

1. ejhuzy

ejhuzy Legend

Jun 19, 2006
    Sorry if this has been hashed around before, but what should/could I do with old DirecTV receivers? I have old Sony models from around 1997. I also have some Samsung standard def models from a few years ago. None of these are HD. Are these things worth anything? Or do I just chuck them?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    They probably have no real value. You can certainly post them on eBay with the access cards removed, or contact your local jurisdiction for the laws on e-waste recycling. It may be illegal to put them in the trash.

3. ejhuzy

ejhuzy Legend

Jun 19, 2006
    Thanks Stu. I don't want to just trash them. I figured either recycle or maybe ebay. A quick search on ebay shows not much value though.

4. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    If you do try to sell on eBay, don't be surprised if your listing gets canceled. D* does not allow the resell of "their" equipment. Even without the access card, they claim the receivers contain proprietary software and eBay supports them in canceling auctions. You can try it, but if you get caught, there is nothing you can do. Grisliest or a garage sale might be better options.

5. jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000 Hall Of Fame

Feb 15, 2007
    Manchester NH
    2 years ago i used Craigslist and Backpage.com and had sucess

also you can post on Tazlist and Jicka. all free:D just need valid e-mail thats it.

You won't get much but worth a shot!

6. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I'd say a local Craigslist would be best. However, I have an attic full of old stuff "just in case."

7. ejhuzy

ejhuzy Legend

Jun 19, 2006
    Thanks guys. Our block is having a garage sale this weekend, so I'll try there first. If that fails, I'll try one of the on-line classifieds.

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If that fails Sunday night take your old recivers out and put one in each of your neighbor's trash cans and they will all be gone on monday afternoon :D

9. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    Waaay to much angst over garbage. Most garbage facilities now separate metals and plastics from biodegradables anyway.

"Recycling" events for used electronics generally just result in the problem being barged overseas where they are not as well handled as they are here.

10. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    :icon_lol:
    Either way they are gone far away from the house :dance07: And that is the main goal.

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007