1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to look (out) for in an initial install. *Avoiding pitfalls.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Fateswarning, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 #1 of 11
    Fateswarning

Fateswarning Cool Member

Jun 25, 2012
    I've been reading up, trying to educate myself in order to have a rudimentary understanding of how all of this works.

I have a pretty simple set up in mind: An HR34, an HR24, an H24 [edit- H25], a CCK(?) and a RC65RBX remote. I know you can't specify exactly what equipment you get.

What should I look for in an install(er)? I want to know enough that if they try to pull off a sub-par install I'll be able to call them on it. It's a two year commitment after all.

Since I'm ordering an HR34 I'm sure they'll give me the right SWiM set-up. I want to be sure that they don't try to charge me for an RVU, which I don't have. I want the backlit RF remote since I read they don't always give you one unless you ask. I have my neighbor's customer # so I can get the referral discount.

Some have said I'd be better off talking to a local installer. I'd Havel a better chance of getting new, as opposed to refurbed, equipment. Also some have said that if they try to give me old equipment or I just don't get a good vibe regarding the install to just politely ask to re-schedule.

I'm just trying to understand how to ensure a good initial install. Not to mention all the terms like: DECA, CCK, SWiM, RVU, C31 client, HRxx, Hxx, etc.

Sorry if this has all been covered recently. Any advice or links would be appreciated.

2. Jul 1, 2012 #2 of 11
    dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    Installers do not have RC65RBX. At best you can get a RC65RX(non-backlit). CCK can only be installed if you have internet at the time of install.

Ask them where they're going to ground the system. If it's something more than a few feet from the power meter, it probably is not an NEC approved ground. If they were going to ground to a water spicket or some random pipe, you can expect a sub-par install.

A retailer might be able to get you new equipment, but they also have less supervision, increasing the chance of a poor install. Trust your vibes, but you should go in expecting refurbished equipment. I have not had a new HD/DVR on my truck in over 2 months, and the mix of new to refurbs for HD favors refurbs. This increase in refurbs is relatively new, and reflects a change in the way DirecTV does thing on their end.

DECA : DirecTV Ethernet to Coax Adapter. It bridges a traditional Ethernet network to a network on the coax.

CCK: Cinema Connection Kit. What the installer will use to get the internet onto your coax network.

SWM: Single Wire Multiswitch. The signals on the coax are organized differently than in a traditional system, allowing 1 line to support up to 8 tuners.

RVU: Allows 1 receiver to feed multiple TVs.

C31: DirecTV's upcomming RVU client.

HR2x: DirecTV's MPEG4 HD/DVR

H2x: DirecTV's MPEG4 HD set top box

3. Jul 1, 2012 #3 of 11
    Fateswarning

Fateswarning Cool Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Thanks for the info.

I only mentioned all the acronyms as to what I've been reading up on.

4. Jul 1, 2012 #4 of 11
    MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    to add onto the receivers, remotes

HR34 - you will get this exact model, hr34 is the only HMC around

HR24 - 50/50, we are supposed to use the oldest reciever on our truck (if we got refurb hr22s 2 weeks ago and have a couple left, they are supposed to get put in before the hr24s that we may have got this week). You can always ask the tech if he has or can get you an hr24, just don't be a jerk about it, and you may get a favorable result. Alot of times our hands are tied though

h24 - you probably won't get this, you most likely will get a h25 since you are getting a swm install

Remotes - as stated above on the remotes, techs don't carry RC65RBX, only RC65X and RC65RX. Just ask the tech for RF remotes when he's about to bring the boxes in, they are "optional" but no charge for the hddvrs/hmcs

5. Jul 1, 2012 #5 of 11
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You have not ordered yet, correct? Make sure you follow the correct process to get the referral discount. You can specify the home media center (hr34) and chances are pretty good it will be new. For the other DVR and receiver you will get whatever the installer has available.

When he arrives, take a couple of minutes to walk/talk through the install with the installer so you both know and agree on what is to be done and how it will be done.

6. Jul 1, 2012 #6 of 11
    Fateswarning

Fateswarning Cool Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Correct, I have not ordered yet.

I will take your advice as to the referral and walk through the install with the installer.

Mr. Showtime:
    I meant H25, sorry.

7. Jul 1, 2012 #7 of 11
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    As said previously, new or refurbished will depend on what is on the truck. I had a service call this week and all the tech had on his truck was brand new equipment. Good luck.

8. Jul 3, 2012 #8 of 11
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    The only way to guarantee new on the HR24 and the h25 is to order them at full price thru someone else,like solid signal. not sure how that would work with a new install, I haven't done that. Maybe someone else might know.

Did you need rf for the h25? If so, I believe that requires an additional purchase of an rf antenna, doesn't it? You'd think Id remember, since I have one, but I can't off the top of my head remember if it comes with it in the box.

9. Jul 3, 2012 #9 of 11
    Fateswarning

Fateswarning Cool Member

Jun 25, 2012
    I don't know that I need an RF remote at all. I read that you don't have to aim an RF at the box. A backlit remote that you don't have to aim sounded good to me.

It occurred to me that it may not even work with my other components.

10. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    this "convenience" will cost a little bit extra, as they backlit remotes are only available by calling DirecTV. I think they go for $25

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The RF remotes operate in IR mode until you tell it to operate in RF mode. Even then, they operate in RF mode only with the DirecTV receiver. For other components it operates in IR mode.

- Merg