What Toys Did You Get For Christmas?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Haven't started a thread on the OT for a long time. Used to be a vibrant place, now...?

Anyhow, what did you get for Christmas? Toys, please, consumer electronics toys. My birthday is gonna pop up in a couple months and I'll have a chance to get what I missed this week. Tell us...

Rich

2. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I got 3 smart speakers to see which I liked the best. HomePod, Sonos One and RIVA Concert.
    So far:
    HomePod is in the lead for sound quality by a fair amount. The downside of the HomePod is the limited support for smart devices, though in my case all my devices except for a couple of smart bulbs, are supported. Leaning hard to keeping this one.

RIVA Concert is in 2nd place for audio quality and it is airplay and Alexa ready. Not quite as handy with Alexa as are the echo devices and Sonos One.

Sonos One is in 3rd place for audio quality, but is more versatile in direct support of various streaming music services. It also is airplay and Alexa ready.

But my bestest new thing is my puppy! It is a female jack Russell/chihuahua hybrid. She is really a great addition to my house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Sony XBR-55X900F 4K Ultra HDTV.

TheRatPatrol and jimmie57 like this.
  4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    My total gift haul has been a Echo Dot (2nd Generation) from a company gift exchange. Period.

In fact, I asked my friends no physical gifts as I am about to move in about 15 days. Gift cards are OK, dinner is fine, otherwise, I have to pack it.

Rich likes this.
  5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not surprised Apple makes a good smart speaker. Kinda surprised the Sonos speaker isn't better. Not at all surprised about the puppy. Sadie wants to see a picture...her comment was, "it must be a very small Jack Russell." Now I want to see a picture...please?

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Another one?

Rich

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    9.7 inch 6th generation iPad with Snugg keyboard
    Apple TV 4K for master bedroom
    Echo Dot 3rd generation (got it free for signing up for SiriusXM radio)

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    My previous set was the Sony XBR-55X900C. The XBR-55X900F has the X1 Extreme Processor which has 40% more image processing power than earlier 900 series models.

Rich likes this.
  9. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh my! :)

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Sent u a message with the picture. About the size of a chihuahua with longer legs.

As to the Sonos, it isn’t bad just not as good as the HomePod or Riva Concert.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I got the picture but I can't reply to the PM. For an odd reason that I don't understand.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Nice. First ATV?

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sadie would like to see a picture that shows the size of the puppy. Sorry, hard to satisfy a ten year old. She wants to see how small it is and wants to know the pup's name.

See what you started? :)

I am in the throes of wanting a dog. You got one, I didn't. That bothers me. Problem we have is I'm the only one that doesn't have horrible allergies...have to have a hypoallergenic dog.

Rich

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    You’ll have to wait for after she finishes her nap! Her name is Princess and she is definitely tiny. Don’t know how this cross breed would be with allergies though. My daughter has a Pembroke Corgi and lots of allergies and doesn’t have problem with that breed.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I like tiny dogs. Less to pick up after. Had a couple Westies, both passed recently. Miss them, don't miss the mess and responsibility. But I have the urge and my urges...

Rich

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Another pic in messages

Rich likes this.
  17. TheRatPatrol

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    No sir, second one, first one is in the living room.

Actually this is my fourth ATV. I’ve had the 2nd gen, 3rd gen, and now two 5th gens.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My family had a small dog die in surgery and decided to stick with the larger dogs. I have not had my own dog for about 30 years. My mother ended up with a couple of "reject" dogs other family members (grandchildren) didn't want any more. They were good company but losing each dog was hard.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The older you get and the more you let them sleep in your lap the harder it gets.
    My last one, poodle, broke his back jumping off the bed one morning. I had it put to sleep. That really hurt since I had had him for about 12 years. I vowed then that I would never get another one.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Amazing how they breed. We have six of them in the house now.

Rich