1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Transponder do I check?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by edgoss, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edgoss

edgoss Registered User

Oct 30, 2007
    Hello,

I do not understand what a transponder is ? Why are there so many?

When I check the three different satellites 119, 110, 129 at different transponders the signal strengths are all different. How do I know which one to
    use when adjusting the dish to get the best signal?

Thanks,
    Ed

2. rahchgo

rahchgo Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    :welcome_s to dbstalk.com
    I suggest that you post your question in this forum:
    General Dish Network™ Discussion

3. Raymie

Raymie Godfather

Mar 31, 2007
    A transponder is a small part of the satellite that carries data (video, audio, or data stream). These are mapped to channels.

At any given satellite (let's say 110), there are lots of transponder frequencies usable. 110 has 32 of them; 16 odd and 16 even. (Not all of them are owned by Echostar, the parent of Dish Network.) Dish has three satellites at 110: one is an in-orbit spare, and the other two provide service. A third is scheduled to go up in December, and one of the two existing 110 sats will be moved to another location. DirecTV ALSO has a satellite at that location.

Between the two Dish satellites at 110, different transponders come off of different satellites, a factor in your signal strength.

This affects ANY satellite service: Dish, DirecTV (which are nearly always abbreviated to E* and D* respectively here on DBSTalk).

61.5 is another good example of different satellites. Echostar (or E*) 3 and 12 are located there. E*12 is the former Rainbow 1 for Voom, which got sold to Dish Network.

E*3 is the second-biggest failure magnet in the Echostar portfolio. It is an aging satellite that has experienced transponder failure. Some TPs at 61.5 come off of E*3; others from E*12, which has unused spotbeams and potential. (A spotbeam is often used for local channels, because they are targeted to specific markets).

The reason I mentioned the difference between even and odd transponders earlier was for the 148 satellite location, which is a 2-bird operation. One handles the odd TPs, the other the even ones. 148 used to be a big international home with 61.5, as did 121 at one point, but everything's going to 118.75 now. (118.75 is not 119, for clarification purposes.)

The sat locations for E* are:

61.5 (internationals, Sky Angel, HD, other services)
    85 (ViP-TV, the IPTV service announced by E* last week)
    105 (six local markets and that's it: Dish is phasing out this location. Was to be HD but the satellite that was there didn't have a proper footprint.)
    110 (the workhorse, combined with 119; carries tons of local channels)
    118.75 (the international hub, also has HD locals)
    119 (the other workhorse)
    121 (the former international workhorse, but it's going too)
    129 (the HD workhorse; carries some locals)
    148 (minor Western markets in locals, as well as internationals)

I'm not sure if you'll need 129...61.5 may be what you need for HD RSNs and the like.

Tracker

4. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Tracker had a decent explanation.

Think of a transponder as a satellite "channel". This transponder has a data stream that carries a ton of programs.
    A single transponder can hold about 6 HD channels (MPEG4), or 4 HD channels (MPEG2), or 12-13 standard Definition channels (MPEG2), or about stereo 75 music channels. The reason for so many transponders is to carry more and more channels!

As Tracker mentioned There are 32 transponder frequencies (channels) on each Dish satellite location and not all of them are owned by Echostar (owner of Dish Network) or E* for short. E* owns 29 transponders at 110°, 21 at 119° 32 at 129° but these are temporary since that is a Canadian location and 30 at 61.5° with temporary authority to use the other two.

To see what Dish channels are on what satellite or transponder, go to www.dishchannelchart.com

Or you can get there by clicking on the EKB link at the top of most pages here.

Hope that helps.

See ya
    Tony

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Also 105W carry a couple transponders with DVB/IP traffic using DVB-S2 standard.

6. edgoss

edgoss Registered User

Oct 30, 2007
    Thanks for the lesson. I know now.

Ed

7. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    I'd still like to know the answer to this one. A lot of people ask, including myself, and no one ever has a solid answer. :)

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    For 110 and 119 use transponder 11. I don't remember the correct transponder for 129, but it really doesn't matter because they are all at the same point in the sky, you find one, you find them all.

Any transponder that you can read would work, but I try to use weak ones to peak a dish because they seem to be more sensitive to error (have a smaller 'sweet spot'), if you get the weak TP's working, the strong ones take care of themselves. Use the strong ones to find the sat, the weak ones to peak it.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    We had the discusion here - search for _home_ transponder.

10. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Thanks. Now I just gotta find some time to do that. I've got great strength on all except a few on 129. Tp6 (TBSHD, NHLHD) drop every now and then to 10 or 11 on the new scale, and Tp27 (A&EHD, UNIHD) are pretty low, but no longer drop.

11. edgoss

edgoss Registered User

Oct 30, 2007
    If I adjust my Dish to get a better signal on 129 then could I loose signal strength on 110 and 119? This is what I find a hassel. I made a previous thread saying that I had two new receivers. One is a 311 std. and the other a VIP 211 ( High Def ). The signal on the 311 is very high on the 110 and 119 and the 129 is around 70 on some transponders. The VIP 211 is connected to the same dish and it's reading are a lot lower. Same cable lengths. I was told the Dish Network made some software changes that have a strength meter that goes up to 100% instead ofr 125% Like they used to.

It may be so, but It's confusing. If my 119 max's out at 125% on the 311 then why is the VIP 211 reading 70-85 about. To me it should be 100%. I am afraid to adjust the dish since the 311 shows a great signal.

Ed

12. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    Ed, I saw that thread. From those readings you have nothing to worry about. You've got better SS than I do. Like it was mentioned the 211 has a different software version than the 311. Even though the scale may say it goes to 125, it actually is based off of 100.

My example: On my ViP622 before the software update, Sat 129 Tp 27 read 24-27 on the scale. Now, after the update, it reads 14-17. Anything below 11 or so will drop the signal.

They changed how the scale reads, but your signal strength never changed.

13. edgoss

edgoss Registered User

Oct 30, 2007
    I was so used of a signal over 100% on the 110 and 119 that when I saw the 129 a lot lower I thought I was in trouble. I am learning a lot from this forum. It's great.

Appreciate the help again.

Ed

14. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    yeah I used to have 125 signal on my 311's and 508... ahh the good days :lol:

anyway even if you just see 110/119, your dish is aimed exactly between them! (if you check the look angles for each dish separately, then average them, you will get the #'s E* gives you), so while you could get better strength from 110, your 119 strength would suffer. The same goes for the other multi-satellite dishes

15. jpeckinp

jpeckinp Legend

Nov 5, 2006
    I detuned my dish for 110 and 119 to get a better signal on 129. I now have 90's on 110,119 and have 80-90s on 129. I very rarely get any signal drop even in heavy storms.

16. klegg

klegg Legend

Oct 31, 2006
    I'm a novice to this. Is this something I can do, or should I just have Dish come out. Ever since the last update, I've lost TBSHD and a few others. TNTHD has a few issues, but it's at least working now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.