What viewing habit information is collected by DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JerryMeeker, Apr 19, 2021.

1. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Perhaps this has been discussed previously, but do we have any insight into the information on our viewing habits this is being collected on our DVR's and harvested by DirecTV? Data such as what we record, what seasons passes we set up, when we actually view a recorded program, whether we cancel and delete a recording before it is fully watched, and whether we are actually viewing commercials instead of fast-forwrding.

Assuming this information is being collected, I suspect that it is happening over the internet connection. Is there a way to set the internet connection for the DVR to be receive only (guide data, on-demand programming), and block out-going data?

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Your DVR doesn't receive any guide data over the internet, if you don't want Directv collecting viewing information take it off the internet and live without on-demand (which you can view in other ways anyway)

3. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the insight WRT how guide data is received. However, you have not answered two of my questions--can outbound internet traffic originating from the DVR be blocked? I would prefer to retain the internet connection for on-demand downloads. And do you/anyone have any insight regarding what information DTV is collecting?

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    What they collect is what Channel is recorded -time and date as well as what "live" Channel you are tuned to as well --leaving any receiver on any channel and it reports what it's tuned too as well as date and time.

I always leave mine set to 833 at all other times -except when recording or watching live the receivers have always reported that info long before the internet

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    A response to a satellite-initiated query probably looks a lot like any other user-requested traffic. If it is all traveling via port 80, then the only distinction is probably the destination IP (as has been successfully done in blocking downloaded ads).

6. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    AFAIK, any info being downloaded from a network needs a have a two-way connection in order to be received, and most previously-downloaded OD content won't even play w/o an internet connection anyway.

compnurd likes this.
  7. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks for the responses. I think I will just keep my internet connection as is and not worry about any data collection that is going on.

AZ. likes this.
  8. jeff d

jeff d New Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I had similar concerns and just setup my router to block my receiver's access to the WAN.
    My genie is on my LAN and whole-home functionality done over coax to the other receivers.
    Thinking about this, I'm not sure why I did it this way, but it made sense at one point!

9. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I would ask, what harm comes to us if DirecTV knows our viewing habits?

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My theories:

It may negatively bias DIRECTVs business decisions on channels that have less broad appeal (this can manifest in carriage negotiations as well as bandwidth allocation*).

It may artificially bias channels that people use as "background noise" giving them higher carriage priority and bandwidth allocation. This typically applies to news, weather and shopping channels I suppose.

Your correspondence from DIRECTV may include "special offers" for content your household appears to favor (no examples here but it seems fairly likely).

* It has been observed by some that some HD channels are much better than others with respect to picture (and perhaps audio) quality. One theory in a PQ discussion thread holds that less "important" channels get significantly less bandwidth.

11. Coachbulldog

Coachbulldog Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Utah
    This point makes a lot of sense and I'm sure during the 18 months there were a lot more of this with more people working from home. Speaking only for me, but almost every day I had a sports network running in the background when I worked.