1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was your first forum?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    What was the first internet/newsgroup/BBS type discussion group you participated in?

My story dates all the way back to 1985. It was a local dialup BBS in Sacramento, CA called the Citadel. It ran on a Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4 at someones house with a 1200 baud modem. Each person called in one at a time to read and reply to forum messages.

The next year, I started my own BBS running on the same type of computer. The good old days.

2. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Ahh good topic!

My first experiance online was compuserve I was at School and using thier account. From there I used AOL (at that time AOL was only available on the Mac)

My first modem was a 1200 baud and my first online service was Prodigy. I was big into local BBS's and compiled the Connecticut BBS List. I ran my own BBS Cheers! which was the areas first multiline BBS, I was on FidoNet and was one of the first boards to offer newsgroups and Internet email.

I miss those days. It was fun!

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    My actual experience dates back to a time when the internet was actively managed by DARPA. I also used various GE time sharing programs during my tenure with DOD in the early to mid 80s.

I do recall getting into Compuserve Frorums and chat rooms in the early 90s. I never cared for AOL or the early Prodigy.

4. Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    1994 on AOL 2.0. 1st groups were the backhaul groups before the ones on yahoo which no one particpated in for the backhauls on the big dishes. 1st 2 people I ever e-mailed were guys by the name of Robert Smathers (he was on this radio show called Friday Night Live on the SAH channel on Galaxy 3) and Fred Hoffman (sports guy at Satellite TV Week). 1st forum so to speak to participate in was a forum called Coach's Satellite or something like that. Run by a guy from FOX Sports Net I think in the mid 90's. I was a lurker at DBSDish for many many many years ago around 1997 or so.

5. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    I know Robert Smathers, I worked with him on Friday Night Live.

His page is still online you can find it at http://www.nmia.com/~roberts

6. Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    Robert is on the backhaul groups and the MLB one. I help him with his MLB page every year. I just e-mailing him last night about KCAL and the Angels...

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    My first forum experience was DBSDish Back in 4/99

8. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Compuserve using a Commodore 64 with a 1200 bps modem... that must have been 1983....

9. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Neil,

I remember that time. Back in 1983 my first online access was through Compuserve using a 300 baud modem and a Radio Shack portable computer. After hearing about Compuserve I wanted to be the first one on the block so I ran down and spent about $100 for the computer, modem and cables.

Only used Compuserve for about a month because I didn't use it much and it was very expensive. I also hated the fact that the usage time was metered.

10. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    When I ran my BBS I was the first up to have a hard drive! (20 Meg was a big advertising point!)

Yes compuserver was expensive, and you had to know its launguage, (ie: go weather) there were no graphics of real menus, it was hard to get around then.

11. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I can't recall the name but it was a similar set up...a BBS in 1984 on an IBM PC running WILDCAT BBS software on an 8086 chip in someone's business in Akron, Ohio. It was only on after hours and it was off for an hour in the middle there when it dialed into a larger BBS network and downloaded a bunch of messages from all over the country.

Dialed in with a copy of procomm plus. :)

12. STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    Damnit Chris,
    Why did you want to 'bait' me with a question like this?
    You knew this was coming. ;)
    The first forum I ever participated in was many years ago; even before the evolution of the internet.
    I had to use an actual typewriter.
    That forum was.........
    "The Penthouse Forum!":D :lol::grin:
    A lot of interesting articles in that magazine.:wave:

13. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I thought this was an interesting reading....
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,427075,00.asp

BTW my first board was a BBS that a ran on a IBM PCjr called PCBoard... It was based in Laguna Niguel, California (Orange County) and was called "The Surf Board"...

14. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    1999(first computer-before then, wouldn't have one of these devil's tools in the house...lol)pathfinder's cafe, operated by time warner-great group of folk, but T/W pulled the plug on the room a year later...*sigh*

15. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I've still got a working PCJr... a screamer with 384k main memory, a parallel port sidecar, and a IBM basic cartridge installed!

16. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    That's great Neil! I can't seem to part with any of my "original" computers. I still have the old TRS-80 Model 4, a TI-99 4/A and the Radio Shack portable MC-10 (check out the specs on the MC-10 if you want a good laugh - http://www.geocities.com/simonsouth/mc10/ ). I told my wife that someday when we have the room, I would like to setup a computer museum.

17. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    :lol: TI-99 4/A! Tell me you have Munchman!

18. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    we were doing some spring(fall?) cleaning over the weekend and came across the power supply for my old commodore 64...lol

19. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Something on a Commodore Vic 20 with a 300 baud modem if I recall correctly. I worked my way through a Commodore 64, then the somewhat rare Commodore "portable" (I forget what it was called). I used to do all the payroll commission reports where I worked on that portable at the time.

20. EricG

EricG Godfather

Mar 28, 2002
    My first experience was using my Atari 800XL and and Atari 1030 modem (300 baud) dialing in to several BBSs in Columbus in 1985. Used a program called 1030 Express, it was really neat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.