1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do? My RVU is screwed up and my wife is getting angry!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by slapshot54, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1 of 42
    slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Ever since my RVU setup was installed it has been nothing but problems. I've waited for firmware update after update and still no change. My setup is an HR34 to Samsung ES6500 TV using Ethernet thru a DLink DIR-825 gigabit router. It was initially installed by a directv installer using MoCA. I could not connect to my NAS to stream movies so i changed it over to Ethernet myself.

My problem is constant drop outs, slow initial connection as well as freezing video and slow response (the last two o can deal with, minor issues). 4-5 times per day my connection from the HR34 to the TV will drop completely. Ill get an error message on the TV saying "device disconnected". When I first turn the TV on it will do the "RVU connecting" screen which will go to "please check your connection, no rvu server found" to "this location is not authorized". This initial startup to acutal signal can vary from 20 seconds if the TV can't find the 34 to 4-5 minutes if the location not authorized error comes up.

My question is what can I do to fix this and will directv help me with this if its connected over "unsupported" Ethernet. Do I need a new Genie? I just turned power saving off to see if this will help but I'm not too encouraged. Should I just give up and get an RVU client? I do love the lack of cords and clean install i have right now for the wall mounted TV.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

I can post videos if anyone has questions about what I'm describing.

2. Sep 3, 2013 #2 of 42
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Is your Genie connected wirelessly to your home network? if so I will hard wired it

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

3. Sep 3, 2013 #3 of 42
    slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    It's hard wired. The worst part is watching recorded TV when it drops out. We have to wait for it to connect again, go to the playlist and start the show again. When it happens twice in an hour it's pretty annoying.

4. Sep 3, 2013 #4 of 42
    TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Did you recently get the 34 installed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using DBSTalk mobile app

5. Sep 3, 2013 #5 of 42
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    what happens if you try going with the DECA again. perhaps too much traffic in your LAN

6. Sep 3, 2013 #6 of 42
    slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    I've had the 34 for about 18 months but it was hooked up to my tv via HDMI. I just got the Samsung tv and moved my old tv to the bedroom with the 34 and have the Samsung in the living room.

I would but then my NAS won't connect to the TV

7. Sep 3, 2013 #7 of 42
    daniloni

daniloni Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I also have ethernet to an ES6500 (I have a linksys e4200 router and an HR34 Genie). The installer didn't want to do it, basically insisting on a Genie client, saying that "RVU doesn't work well." So I just authorized the TV later, after the initial install. It does take 20-45 seconds to start-up when I turn on the TV (the screen says "connecting to RVU server") but besides the initial delay, it works flawlessly for me. I know my post doesn't speak to your problem, but I wanted to state my own experiences for anyone coming to this page researching whether they wanted to go the RVU route. Good luck finding a solution.

8. Sep 3, 2013 #8 of 42
    slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Is there a way to re- authorize the TV? Maybe the initial setup with the DECA is causing a problem??

9. Sep 3, 2013 #9 of 42
    TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Is your TV firmware up to date? Just trying to check off possibilities

10. TorinTPG

TorinTPG New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Georgia
    Is there a way to re- authorize the TV? Maybe the initial setup with the DECA is causing a problem??

Makes sense that you could. I've not used the Rvu technology, but there has to be a way to default or go thru the initial setup again

11. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There should be no difference as far as the set up is concern using either method

12. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Before you switched to Ethernet, did the RVU dropout? I would recommend trying to go back to DECA as peds48 had said - just as a test.

If this works, then you can buy a CCK to bridge the DECA network to your network and the DVRs will be able to see your NAS again.

Here is a link to the CCK - essentially it just accepts an Ethernet connection and creates an uplink from your DECA network to that Ethernet connection.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=decabb1r0&d=directv-cinema-connection-kit-(decabb1r0)

You can also search eBay for these - I bought mine a lot cheaper from there.

13. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Question: This could be totally irrelevant.

The thing that has changed is the TV ?
    The TV is an RVU and is connected to the net thru the Ethernet and connected to the home thru the HR34 that is also connected to the net via coax ?

What if you disconnect the Ethernet from the TV ?

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Honestly, I'd bet the problem is Ethernet. There is a reason directv doesn't support it... Many low priced routers can't handle the need for smooth transport. Go back to coax, that's my suggestion.

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yeah, and I don't know why the TS' NAS is not seen by the TV if he connects it by coax MoCA.

Assuming he has a CCK hooked-up of course.

I have a NAS, an old HP MediaVault MV2020, on ethernet and its seen all over the home network. By IP hosts in and outside the DECA cloud.

16. slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    My initial setup was CCK to the HR34 and the TV. NAS dropped out when the CCK was used to provide network connection to the TV.

The 34 was initially connected to the network via CCK. I took it out and ran Ethernet to it when I started having problems with dropouts.

I was thinking of buying a new router to see if that was the issue. To tell you the truth the router is a pretty expensive router that was released in 2011 I think, but its possible.

Strange that the guy above has his working well with Ethernet.

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I've had the 34 for about 18 months but it was hooked up to my tv via HDMI. I just got the Samsung tv and moved my old tv to the bedroom with the 34 and have the Samsung in the living room.

I would but then my NAS won't connect to the TV

First personally id go back to the supported method for a few days and see if the issues are still there. You really need to hone in on where the issue is originating before you call DIRECTV. If its only when your unsupported then its something in your network.

Second did you terminate the coax properly when you undid the supported deca?

Third. I can't figure out why your nas wouldn't have worked via supported. It should. It's supported is still pushing full Internet to the tv.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    My initial setup was CCK to the HR34 and the TV. NAS dropped out when the CCK was used to provide network connection to the TV.

The 34 was initially connected to the network via CCK. I took it out and ran Ethernet to it when I started having problems with dropouts.

I was thinking of buying a new router to see if that was the issue. To tell you the truth the router is a pretty expensive router that was released in 2011 I think, but its possible.

Strange that the guy above has his working well with Ethernet.

What do you mean by took it out an ran Ethernet to it when you ha drop outs. Can you explain a little more? And can you give us a detailed explanation if your dtv system are there more recievers where your splitter is etc? This just seems odd.

Also have you ever just don a full reset or your router and modem?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

19. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    So - please correct me if I'm misunderstanding.

You switched to Ethernet on the HR34 / Genie Client because the NAS was dropping out when you tried using the CCK and now the HR34 / Genie Client are dropping out?

To limit the issues - like myself and others have recommended - try using just DECA with the HR34 and Genie Client and see if it works. Just try it - it doesn't need to be permanent - but if this setup works for you - and makes your wife happy, maybe it is better to just leave it that way ;)

But - seriously, if that works, then I would suspect something is wrong with your network somewhere and causing significant collisions on the network which is causing slowdowns to the point that it is impacting your Genie -> Genie Client issues.

20. slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011

My initial install was the HR 34 connected to the network via the CCK. This was done 12 months ago and the HR 34 was connected to my sharp HDTV via HDMI. Then I got a new Samsung TV and had the RVU installed. This was done using the connected home adapter. Right away I had problems seeing my NAS using the connected home adapter, but the RVU was working well initially. The day after I had the RVU installed I took the connected home adapter out and ran ethernet to the Samsung TV. This fixed my NAS problems but then I started having dropouts. After a few weeks and multiple tries at troubleshooting including resetting the receiver, router, and CCK I removed the CCK and ran ethernet to the HR 34 to take out the mixed network.

No other receivers, just coax going upstairs to a wall jack, coax to the CCK which is unplugged and coax to the HR34. I think it's the SL3 dish.

There have been a couple of updates to the Samsung tv so maybe ill put the install back to stock and see what happens. I really like the simplicity of the Ethernet to the TV and the lack of power cords and boxes hanging off.