1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What !!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dobok, Jul 27, 2013.

1. dobok

dobok Mentor

Feb 7, 2010
    A friend belongs to Directv for the last couple of years. He decided he wanted an hr44. He phoned D up and they told him that they could not guarantee an hr44 . He said he would buy it from somewhere else and they instantly told him they had to come out to instal it at $49. an hour. They also said they would replace his other receivers with the clients which he does not want. He wants to keep his other receivers with the hr44.They then offered the hr34 with the genie clients because they said it was cheaper.But that they still would have to come out at $49. an hour to install. He is quite capable of his own intallation of stuff rather than paying for it !!! Whats up!!!! Who should he talk to !!! He's really ticked off. He sais it was like going to buy a truck but they would only sell him a car at a certain price !!! He also wanted to up his viewing to the Premier level but was so ticked off he just said Bye and hung up !!! What is going on with D !!! What should he do ! I said he should threaten to go elsewhere if he doesn't get what he wants. He's the customer !!!

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    He needs to call back and talk to someone else. The info he got was only partially correct.
    Just as they can't guarantee a 44, they can't guarantee he'll get a 34 either.
    Since they don't differentiate between the two Genies, the price is the same. So I don't know how he was told it was cheaper to go with the 34 and minis.
    He can keep his current receivers with a Genie *IF* they are SWM compatible. But even if they aren't he doesn't have to get mini-Genies; he can use other receivers or DVRs. And he can even use an RVU compatible TV.
    The $49 install fee could be well worth it depending on what he has installed now (SWM or non-SWM and number of tuners he has). He may need a new dish, a different LNB, a multi-switch, power inserter, etc. EDIT: and each time I've had an installer out, they've check the signal strength on the dish and tweaked it as necessary.
    And there seems to be some confusing over the rate -- I've only seen it as $49 flat fee; not per hour. I had a Genie installed earlier this month. They insisted on the install fee, but immediately gave me a $50 credit.

Do you know the models and quantity of what he currently has installed?

So have him call back and talk with someone else.

3. dobok

dobok Mentor

Feb 7, 2010
    He has an hr24 and 2 other hd models I don't know what though !!!

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Does your friend currently have Whole Home DVR service? If not, DirecTV needs to make a service call because there is other equipment that he needs installed.
    If he does have Whole Home, will adding a Genie into the mix take him to over 9 tuners in his system? If so, the LNB on his dish will need to be changed and a SWM-16 multiswitch will need to be installed.

If he needs other equipment added to his system, the $49 service call (flat fee, not per hour) will less expensive that buying the equipment and installing it himself.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Tell your friend to join this forum. This will get you out from being the go between.