Whatever happened to the HDTV Multi-Room Extender

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by kstevens, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    I thought it was supposed to be released in June, tomorrow is July.

Ken

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    'Soon'... ;)

3. Jul 1, 2010 #3 of 58
    habsfan66

habsfan66 AllStar

Mar 25, 2010
    Can anyone tell me what this consists of? Is it an add-on to current equipment or a replacement receiver or what?

4. Jul 1, 2010 #4 of 58
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The transmitter is an add on to a DISH receiver (except the 922 which has the function built in). The receiver is a separate unit connected elsewhere on the home network or a special TV that has the receiver built in.

See the bottom three items on this page:
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/tveverywhere/default.aspx

5. Jul 1, 2010 #5 of 58
    GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I AM REALLY HATING that answer. I know thats all anybody can say, but I am ready to get a ViP922, but I don't want to until the MRE is released.

Below is a good site to get an overview of the MRE. Its both a addon, and a replacement. Its a replacement device for any TV, you don't want to have to put a reciever on, but you still want to stream Live TV or watch a recording on.

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/sling-receiver-300

6. Jul 6, 2010 #6 of 58
    kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    Well, I see they renamed it to the Sling Extender and got rid of the mobile tv.

Ken

7. Jul 6, 2010 #7 of 58
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Dish calls this piece of vaporware the Sling® Extender while Sling Media promotes it as the Sling Receiver 300. It has an "external power supply with integrated HomePlug Turbo networking." It also says "USB 2.0, for use with optional dual band 802.11 a/g/n wireless networking accessory."

And, of course, on the Dish site we read it will be available "soon.":rolleyes:

8. Jul 7, 2010 #8 of 58
    terfmop

terfmop Legend

Sep 28, 2004
    I have a newly remodeled basement that I have not yet set up with a dish receiver. I was wanting to wait until Dish released the Sling TV everywhere adapters so I could simply access my 622 from the TV in the basement. Does anyone have any idea of when Dish might make these adapters available? If it is going to be a while, I might just go with a 211.

9. Jul 8, 2010 #9 of 58
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I'm wondering why they just don't use an ATSC modulator like they did in the early days with the model 5000 HD add-on module? It should be able to incorporate the 2 NTSC SD channels plus one ATSC over one coax cable.

10. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    X-10 is your friend

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Programming providers do not want their digital material out in the wild where anyone can record "perfect" copies of it and share or even save for themselves.

12. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Because the broadcast companies pitched a fit about the ATSC modulator on the 5000 and basically said "if you do that again, we won't let you carry our channels". The PPV providers are particularly vehement about that.

13. GreenScrew

GreenScrew Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    I want this. Anyone seen a demo/prototype? Wonder how well it will work. The marketing/hype sounds great.

I've got 2 722k receivers for primary viewing areas in 2 family rooms but feed 3 small HD sets off the SD home distribution of one for kitchen, shop, and porch. Would be nice to see HD on those! I wonder if a single sling adapter can communicate to multiple sling extenders simultaneously?

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I've seen nothing to indicate that the extender (Sling Receiver 300) will bypass the "one only" limit on the receiving end. The Sling Media description says:
    It's always carefully worded as "a second HDTV" or "another HDTV."

15. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    With the latest software update and the obvious opening window and some menu changes I suspect the "Extended" is close......... Dish is moving forward with the Sling campaign (spending money) which normally in business is a good indicator of a roll out of something. Stay tuned........

16. lbeck

lbeck AllStar

Jun 27, 2006
    And Sunday is August.

I've been following this thread also. I have a VIP 722 (not K) and am hoping that the adapter/extender will enable me to get HD for my TV2 HDTV which is located only about 30 ft from my TV1. So far, all that I have is coax for my 2nd TV. I'd consider a long HDMI cable except that I don't want to use a splitter (my wife and I like to watch different programming at the same time).

Does anyone here know:

1. how much will the adapter and extender cost?
    2. will there be any monthly add-on charges from Dish?
    3. what's the maximum resolution possible with these items?
    4. will the combo work for the non-K 722?
    5. Any update on the availability time?

Thanks

17. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Only thing that has been "updated" since June, is the name changes. Soon to be released will be the Sling Adapter(TV Everywhere Adapter) and Sling Extender(Multi-room Extender). I keep hoping that since they changed the names sooner is getting sooner.
    Here is a link to the Extender

http://us.slingmedia.com/go/sling-receiver-300

Looks like it will support upto 1920x1080

18. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    Now that I switched from a 622 to a 722k, I am interested in getting a Sling Adapter. I gather from previous posts that it is anybody's guess when, or if, this will be available or an MSRP.

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Right after or before they produce the app for the iPad which gets this footnote at the Sling site even though when the iPad came out several months ago they told tech media it would be available soon:
    Remember, Echostar, the world champion for vaporware hardware, owns Sling now, so "soon" appears frequently.:mad:

20. lbeck

lbeck AllStar

Jun 27, 2006
    @phrelin

I read your experience in working with Dish tech support. Mine is similar and I almost reluctantly switched to DirecTV, but they finally found 119 and 110 which have most of the programming that I watch. The reception is marginal - perfect in good weather but goes out momentarily during storms and occasionally for unknown reasons.

You mention in passing on your slingbox link the internet speed but you never specified what it is. I have 3 MBPS and according to Roku media player that is sufficient for streaming video, but it isn't and I get frequent interruptions while the program "catches up," displaying a progress bar. The sling extender also specifies 3 MBPS minimum (or recommended - can't recall which).

First, what happens if the speed is inadequate or marginal? Do you get pixelation and partial loss of programming like poor satellite signal strength, or is there some other problem? Next, (related to my question of your internet speed) will the 3 MBPS be adequate for the sling adapter/extender?

Thanks