1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best universal remote?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dnemec123, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnemec123

dnemec123 Legend

Jul 19, 2007
    Hillsboro, OR
    Hello again!

Next week I'll be getting my HR20 installed, and I was wondering what everyones opinion on the best universal remote control would be?

Ideally, it would be peanut shaped (like the TiVo remote), with the buttons in the same approx location as the TiVo remote. :D

Thanks!
    Dale

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Harmony 880 > All

[​IMG]

3. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003

Dale:

Many of us here (and elsewhere) swear by the Harmony line of remotes. Not too costly, easy to program. Wife finds it easy to use. Works great with virtually any IR device you have. There are more costly solutions, but IMO, none better.

See this, from today:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=89321

4. pete4192

pete4192 Godfather

May 22, 2007
    I've got a Harmony 550. It's inexpensive and servered my needs very well.

5. Philthy

Philthy Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Get an RTI T2-C or for that matter anything in there line is bulletproof. Very easy programming and supports discrete IR codes. I have a T2C and it operates my entire system as well as my HR20 perfectly

6. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you want something similar to the peanut, you may want to look at the Harmony 670. That seems to be the closest to the peanut, as I can find, key positionwise. The best value I have seen to date is the Harmony 676(which is similar to the 670, but the PVR keys are above the ring, not around it), which is still going for $59.99 at Amazon.com

7. cbearnm

cbearnm Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    I have to go with the 880. I waited until I could get it under $150 and after a small learning curve in programming it (web based) I can not give it up.

8. BubbaDude

BubbaDude AllStar

May 21, 2007
    What questions should you ask when evaluating remotes? Here's some that I find useful:

1. How are the hard keys laid out, and how many are there? Does the remote have all the DVR keys you'd like it to have.

2. Can you re-label of re-purpose keys if the default layout doesn't do it for you?

3. How does the remote keep up with new devices that come out after the built-in codes are defined?

4. Are there any weird limitations on key learning?

5. Will it operate a wide range of equipment?

6. Does it have any kind of back-lighting for use in a dark room?

7. Do DVR users like it?

Too many times in the past, I've plunged into a remote purchase and then been surprised to learn that the device didn't do what I expected it to do.

And personally, I like my Home Theater Master MX-500, but it's pretty much out-of-date now, so I'm looking for something easier to see and easier to upgrade.

9. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I had the MX-500 and thought it couldn't get any better than that. I had my reservations about the Harmony 880 (web based programming was one of them), but I went for it anyway. I have had the 880 for 2 years now and still love it! It is how a remote should be. :)

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I totally, totally agree with Mr. Narf. I am super satisfied with the 880.

I'd like to have the color keys, The key layout is a bit odd it's a great compromise for big and small hands.

Repurpose any, and rename 8 soft keys.

Web interface, and it can learn IR.

Not that I have seen.

For a while I had it running my ceiling fan. Yes, yes.

Soft blue.

Speaking for myself, you betcha.

Search where you have to, spend as little as you can, but for my money it would be this or the harder-to-find 885 which has the color buttons.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    MX series. MX-700 here.

12. falken

falken Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    whoa... I had no idea there was a 885 that had the red,green,yellow,blue buttons on it. Now I must have it... Thanks! :)

13. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    Another vote for the Harmony 880. It was very easy to program and tweak buttons this way and that so everything is just the way you like it.

But, Lamontcranston: where did you find a ceiling fan which works with an IR remote? I looked everywhere recently and could only find RF ceiling fans. I was disappointed I couldn't add it to my Harmony (but I did buy a Maestro IR dimmer to control my lights with it!).

14. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Get the Xbox model it too has the colored buttons. The 885 is a Euro model not sure how easy that is to find in the US. The Harmony 885 is listed as 169.00 GBP on Harmony's UK site the Xbox model is $129.00 thru Harmony and $85.29 on Amazon.

15. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it was and old Hampton Bay. I know the new ones are RF though, that's what's in the house now.

16. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    If you want to know about the 885, I think Capmeister has one.

17. BubbaDude

BubbaDude AllStar

May 21, 2007
    Looking at the Harmony 880 and the Harmony X-Box, I don't like the way the keys are laid out. I prefer to have the trick mode keys right outside the joystick controls, but Logitech doesn't do that, they put them on a separate row. So your channel and volume controls are right outside the joystick, which seems kinda worthless. The advantage of putting trick mode next to joystick is that it's easier to operate without looking at the remote. Anyhow, that's what I'm used to.

It looks like I'm stuck with my aging MX-500 until it quits working, and the MX-700 when it dies.

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Hey, you stole my avitar!!!!!

Damn Sox fans.... ;)

19. ejkuhl

ejkuhl Mentor

Jun 11, 2007
    670 has them around joystick

20. elixir26

elixir26 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    I'll add my vote for the 880. It will do everything with options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.