1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the point in buying equipment?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lucidrenegade, Oct 25, 2018.

1. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade New Member

Oct 25, 2018
    I may be switching to DirecTV from cable. What benefits are there to paying for equipment from someplace like Solid Signal, vs just ordering from the DirecTV website?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    we had the question last week - look around, try use A Search of the Forum - I'm sure you'll find it

3. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Call and Sign up as NEW customer- They will throw all equipment at you and include Free installation - Buying from an e-tailer will get you equipment at retail Cost -SO as a NEW Customer I suggest you call and get the best deal you can.

jimmie57 likes this.
  4. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you get your equipment from Solid Signal or from Directv, it will still be a lease. Since this is your first post, you probably aren't familiar with how that works.

5. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    If you buy from Solid Signal, you get to choose your equipment and install it yourself (the way it should be).

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    you also pay for it, as compared with probably getting it free as a new customer if you get it from DirecTV.

7. linkstorinks

linkstorinks New Member

Aug 13, 2014
    MN
    Fee is the same monthly regardless per receiver, Upfront costs vary and you can easily see on dtv what you can get for equipment as a new customer I am sure you will be locked in either way if buy or lease (AT&T rules now), when your service is actually connected to utilize them, well that's anyone's guess. Suggestion, play your options without a contract until things are figured out at dtv or tr dish (never had) was a 14+ with dtv and switched to streaming. Internet connection depending on your capacity to do so.

8. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    that is more than worth it for me (at least it used to be). Solid Signal used to only have brand new equipment, seems like they have now started selling refurbished units for the same price (and basically without knowing what you will get), so might not be as solid as they used to be. I have never had a DirecTV "installer" on my property, and there never will be.

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They sell what they get from Directv. Since Directv isn't manufacturing anything but HR54, HS17 and C61* clients (and I wouldn't be surprised if they've quit making HR54s) there's little room for them to ship new hardware unless you order something Directv is still making.

10. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    The only real benefit is for existing customers who want to avoid getting into a new 2 year contract.
    You can pay the full money for each device to DTV and remain out of a contract but solid state has lower prices.

11. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    If that is the case, then they need to disclose in on their website. I just looked at their listing for an HR24 and it says nothing about it being a used unit. Good way to fail to meet your customer’s expectations.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
  13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    D* no longer manufactures two tuner HRs, how is anyone gonna get "new" HRs? I have had very few problems with refurbished 24s. I did have a lot of problems with the supposedly refurbished Series 2 HRs. Anybody that went thru that has a good reason to dislike the idea of a refurb but it is different now. Refurbed 24s work well. As far as I know the only thing that is usually done to a 24 being refurbed is putting a new HDD in it. If the fan works and the 24 powers on what else can be done?

Rich

ericknolls likes this.
  14. ericknolls

ericknolls Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    I don't see what the big deal is if the receiver is "new" or "refurbished". As long as it works and doesn't have any creepy crawlies coming out of it from previous users I'm okay with it. I have a refurbished Brother multifunction printer. It meets my needs and does what I need it to do. But, Who am I?

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

15. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    If you are an existing customer and "buy" a DVR from SS are you still hit with a new 2yr contract?

And a related question, can you sign up as a new customer and then buy your equipment from SS (yes, I understand there would be a 2yr contract).

Our 2yrs are up soon and my wife would like to get DirecTV. ;)

16. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    yea why??? it's still leased and you still have to send it back when your done with it!!! use the DTV website and more than likely they will give it to you free. and there's no way around the two year contract either!!!. if you have good credit then DTV will give you free boxes that are leased and a free install. and buying dosen't cut out the monthly rental fee's on the boxes it's the same leased or owned. now let me ask you this.. in today's world with the way tech is changing why on earth would you want to own the boxes???

17. tivofan2018

tivofan2018 Member

Oct 19, 2018
    solid signal told me there's no way out of the contract no matter how much you pay for them

18. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    They told me the same thing but maybe due to my insistence to Directv that I was going to cancel my service rather than renew the contract for another two years they waived the contract renewal. I was truly going to cancel and I think they knew it. It probably helps to also be a customer for over ten years of which for the last 4 years I had no contract and the best package. YMMV depending on your account status but just make sure they agree before buying the receiver.

19. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    My point is it needs to be dislosed prominently on the product page... not tucked away in a FAQ. While we are aware that they no longer make HR24s, I suspect the vast majority do not. You wouldn’t expect to go to Apple’s website to buy a new mac and get sent a refurb without being told what you are buying...no difference in my mind. It should absolutely be disclosed on the product page.

20. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    It is the way of most all companies these days, stuff that is important to the consumer is hidden in the small print. That is why I have several magnifying glasses handy.