What's up with my HR24's?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by scottjf8, Jan 26, 2011.

1. scottjf8

scottjf8 Godfather

Oct 5, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I have a pair of HR24's, and lately they've both been locking up/rebooting/freezing picture.

I haven't had any issues on these until the past week or so.

Was there some bad software update? How can I fix?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I wonder if the power situation has changed at your home. I don't think there has been an update for HR24 for quite some time.

3. bt-rtp

bt-rtp Icon

Dec 29, 2005
    Same here on a refurbished HR20 that was installed a few weeks ago. Same problem on the HR20 that it replaced.

4. scottjf8

scottjf8 Godfather

Oct 5, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    No issues with power in our house, and it's both of our HR24's.

5. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    I have seen the same thing here but it seemed to have gone away for about 7-10 days and then last night it was back again

6. bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007
    I haven't seen the rebooting / locking up, but both of my HR24's have been SLOOOOOW lately.

It's very strange - they've been amazingly fast compared to my old HR21. But I'd say the last week or so, it takes at least 30 seconds to bring up the guide or the playlist. It seems to go in spurts too. Each scroll of the guide may take 10 sec. then all of sudden it is as fast as normal. Then I leave the guide and go back in and it takes 30 sec. for the guide to come up again. What that heck is up with that? And like the OP, I don't think it's my DVR since both of HR24's are doing the exact same thing for about a week now.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    Have you tried a Menu Reset (Reboot)?

I have 4 HR24-500s and they all work as advertised, Fast and Dependable. I also have APC Battery Backup/Line Conditioning/Automatic Voltage Regulation/Surge Protection on them and since I did that I get No Reboots or Pixellation, etc.

8. Mrmiami

Mrmiami Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    Ditto that on my 2- 24-500 units minus the lockup and reboots but mine are looking like their junked with the repeated pixalation smearing/tearing going on constantly, most notible on LIL broadcast's. So what's happening with these boxes now at less than a year old??? Started happening about a week and a half ago any reasons or tie ins noted?

9. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I don't see any slooooowness unless I try to open TV APPS when tuned to a sports channel that has the scoreguide (SG) feature.

If it does slow, I can easily fix it by simply tuning to a SG channel and waiting for the SG pop-up. No reboot is necessary to restore speed of menus, playlist or guide.

I make it a point not to use TV APPS while tuned to SG channels. If I forget, I know what to do about it.

I did have a HR24-500 that behaved badly due to being connected to the IRD port of the SWiM PI (power inserter). It's been recommended to avoid that setup with the 24s.

The only lock-ups I've been able to duplicate lately is by using trickplay to jump to preset markers and quickly hitting the play button as soon as I see the tick on the banner jump toward the marker. I call this anticipating the pause at marker jump and preemptively trying to skip or avoid the pause. The video plays w/o audio and then will freeze until I un-freeze it with another TP (replay and audio is restored along with video, in sync).

I did finally give-in and get an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) with surge suppression but it was mostly due to the TV and BluRay HTiB not tolerating power interrupts. I had a transformer nearby explode and the interrupt caused the TV to lose its picture. The service menu settings were not reset in any way but toggling them back to original restored the TV picture. Funny the techs didn't figure that out before; they just replaced the panel and inverter board only to have the next power interrupt "break-it" again. At least it wasn't me paying the for the repairs! But I'm seeing a value in having the UPS. I guess I need two more to protect the devices I value.

10. GP245

GP245 Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    For the first time two days ago, my HR24-500, using 0x452, froze the video while the audio played perfectly.

I scanned all my channels and this problem affected only 1 channel.

I used the good old Red Button Reset and so far, so good - no more freezing, yet!

11. toneman

toneman Legend

Oct 23, 2007
    No lockups on my two HR24s, but just recently for whatever reason I got a "Channel not authorized" (or something like that) for the E! channel; the weird thing is that I got that message on just one of my two receivers--I was able to tune to E! just fine on the other receiver...reauthorizing the problematic receiver fixed that problem. Then a few days later I noticed on the other receiver (i.e., the one that was able to tune to E!) quite a few channels were missing programming guide info (the first receiver did not have similar missing data on the same channels when I checked at the same time). I did a reauth on that receiver...a day later, still no data...rebooted it, and a day after that, the data was showing again. Weird... :confused:

12. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    I wonder if your signal strengths are low.

13. toneman

toneman Legend

Oct 23, 2007
    Not that I don't believe that could be a possibility...would that cause guide data to be missing on certain channels, but only on one of the two receivers? FWIW--now the other receiver is exhibiting the same issue, and the first receiver that originally had the issue is currently not showing it. Also--I'll double-check but I seem to recall that the channels that were missing guide data were SD channels (I list a few of them in my custom guide since there are no equivalent HD versions of those channels).

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    It is possible.

15. futurerebeldr

futurerebeldr AllStar

Jun 8, 2010
    I was experiencing several lockups on both of my HR24's until the last software update. Since then, they are running like the champs they were built to be.

*Knock on wood*