1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with the 18 month commitment

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by ucrazy51, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ucrazy51

ucrazy51 Cool Member

Jul 16, 2005
    All I want to do is upgrade my 811 to a 211. CSR quoted $49.00 for upgrade but with 18 month commitment. What gives with that. Why should I commit to an additional 18 months just to receive an upgrade on a receiver. I know I have to switch to one of the new HD packages and that's fine. Anyway, I'm keeping what I've got for now and see what comes up later...

Comments welcome...

2. juan ellitinez

juan ellitinez Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 31, 2003
    D* is going to 2 year commitment on "advanced" receivers..so E* may just be following a trend

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Because that's what the upgrade offer entails?

4. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    you can spend $399 and buy a 211, no one is forcing you to do the 18 month commit.

You're really complaining about nothing. Dish is offering you a $399 receiver for free, and only charging you $49 for the new Dish1000 and any possible switches and cabling you'll need. If you have a 1000, or can swing a 2nd dish to 129 without them sending a tech, and have the proper switches already (highly likely with an 811), then the install should be refundable (Charlie mentioned this in the chat). All Dish is asking of you is to keep service for 18 months so they can recoup some of the $399 price of the 211

if you consider it unreasonable, then either don't upgrade or buy a 211. You aren't being forced, you are being "offered" a choice. As mentioned in other places, if you like the HD content you get now, and wouldn't take advantage of the new mpeg4 channels being offered right now, no reason to upgrade. the older boxes will be good for at least a year. If you want just the new HD locals, wait until your locals are active, otherwise you're paying more for the new HD packs without wanting the extra programming.

You aren't being made to upgrade, so decide what you want and choose the path best for you. Dish has given you at least 3 options, pretty nice if you think about it.

5. IowaStateFan

IowaStateFan Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Let me take a stab. The upgrade costs dish more than $49. It will take them some time to cover those costs. If you upgrade and leave within a month (or 2, or 6 or whatever) they won't have recovered their costs and they will lose money. So by getting you to commit to 18 months, they will ensure themselves some profit on the deal. After all that's what they are in business to do - make a profit. You are free to purchase a 211 without making the commitment, or you can keep your current equipment. The way I see it, if you are contemplating leaving Dish in the next 18 months, why would you upgrade?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.