1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's with all these commercials?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by F1aReD, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1 of 48
    F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    Everytime I go to watch something, it's a commercial, or if there doesn't happen to be one on at that moment, 10 seconds later there is a commercial. And these seem to last forever! I swear it's atleast 3-5 minutes of commercials everytime there is one!!

Before I got D* a year ago, I hadn't subscribed to pay TV (religiously) in years, and now that I'm back, I'm stunned at the amount and length of commercials! It's unbelievable! Even on crappy letterboxed channels there are a ton! I mean I know everything is in HD now...but come on, even fast-forwarding through them is painful! It seems to last for 2 minutes or more...and thats FAST-FORWARD!

So what gives? If this is how pay tv has become I'm gonna ditch it all together, theres nothing to watch except commercials.

2. Jan 2, 2013 #2 of 48
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The number of commercials have crept up over the years, there is no doubt. One thing you can do, do a keyword search for 30skip. You won't get any results, but that turns the slipping 30 seconds to a skip.

It does not work on commercials inserted by your DVR however.

3. Jan 2, 2013 #3 of 48
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    There are many channels you can pay for that show no commercials, and those are 95% of what I watch.

4. Jan 2, 2013 #4 of 48
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    DirecTV only controls the frequency and length of their own commercials.

5. Jan 2, 2013 #5 of 48
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If it is taking you 2 or more minutes to get thru them you must be using the first speed of fast forward. Press the button 1 or 2 more times to really speed it up. I personally use the fast forward in the 3 speed.

6. Jan 2, 2013 #6 of 48
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, and even if DirecTV didn't advertise, it wouldn't shorten the commercials. The slots would be sold to someone else.

Even locally inserted ads are just replacing other commercials.

7. Jan 2, 2013 #7 of 48
    VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    The latest tactic is pretty slick. 3 or 4 minutes of commercials followed by a 1 minute snippet of the show followed by 2 or 3 more minutes of commercials. Discovery has been doing this alot.

8. Jan 2, 2013 #8 of 48
    TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    Even zipping by on a DVR, I get annoyed with the repetition of certain commercials.

I mean, does Smithsonian Channel have to show the same inane commercials EVERY BREAK? It's stuff like no-stick cookware, foam seat cushions, and the absurd ear wax mini-vacuum cleaner thing. That channel seems like it ought to attract advertising better than this middle of the night home shopping junk. You almost long for a "real" commercial for a beer, car, or major restaurant chain.

9. Jan 2, 2013 #9 of 48
    Joe166

Joe166 AllStar

Jan 5, 2007
    If someone has paid them good money to play the ad, I suspect the answer is "Yes!" they do have to show it, no matter how inane it may seem. The problem is that some advertisers blow their budget on a commercial and so they have to use it many, many times and they haven't really got control of when they are shown.

I used to do sports broadcasts on radio and it was painful to hear the same, boring commercial while waiting to go back on the air, but that particular commercial was the only one that company had supplied to us. Not a very good use of advertising dollars. They would be better off preparing a few lower cost ads than spending all their money on one more expensive one.

I would say it is their problem, but I share your pain. Really annoying.

10. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Smithsonian is a newer channel with a low subscriber count so they can't really get the variety of ads that you would see on ESPN, USA, TNT, TBS, Nick or MTV. Back in the early days of digital cable channels like The N/TeenNick, VH1 Classic and Discovery's digital networks had the same thing after they first went ad supported, it wasn't until their subscriber count went up that they started getting a wider variety of ads.

11. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    The newest length of commercial I have timed at 5 minutes.
    It is for the dragon speech software on velocity channel.

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    That is still going on with XM channels like espn which have commercials. Pretty much the same ones over and over. It seems like all XM subs must have problems with the IRS since the commercials focus on that.

13. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    I don't have SiriusXM so I don't know if they pass the same ads or insert their own, but on the network feed of ESPN Radio they have cheap bulk ads and PSAs since they expect most of the over the air affiliates to replace it with their own ads.
    Velocity is another channel with a lower subscriber count. They get a lot more money for that 5 minute ad buy than they would if they split it into multiple 30 second spots.

14. john262

john262 AllStar

Oct 26, 2011
    When I surf through all of the basic channels that I get usually over half of them are playing a commercial at any one time. And I am paying over $100 a month for that?

Plus many of the channels play the same thing over and over again. Lot of times they will play the same movie two times in a row on two or three consecutive nights. It's ridiculous. I thought that the idea behind subscribing to cable or satellite was to get more variety in programming. But how can there be variety when they keep showing the same movies over and over again?

15. TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    I'm sure all of the things mentioned are complicated. Eyeballs, ad slot dollars, ad production dollars. Some of these ads are so ridiculous that I think they almost undermine the perceived quality of the programming. If I had to watch that for very long without the aid of a DVR, I would soon harbor resentment for the channel. :D

Smithsonian runs some cool documentary/non-fiction programming. Very nice HD quality. It shouldn't be peppered with advertising better suited for the Here Comes Honey Boo Boo crowd. :confused:

At least Velocity, with their slate of male-oriented car shows, runs advertising for some power tools! Mini-infomercial Dragon Speech software ads, though, seem like a bit much.

16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    A lot of them actually time it so their commercials are on at similar times for that reason, so you don't find something else to watch. They also try to make sure they're on a break near the :15, :27, :45 and :57 marks when many of them have their local avails.

And you are not paying $100 a month for that, outside of channels like ESPN, TNT, RSNs and Disney (which is not ad supported), most ad supported channels are usually 10-50 cents per subscriber. The rest of the bill is going towords paying for everyone and everything involved in keeping the signals uplinked 24/7. (There's a thread with a tour of the DirecTV facility from a few weeks ago, showing nearly everything involved in getting the signals from the stations to your house, all those people don't work for free)

Only DirecTV has it as an HD tier exclusive, the other providers that have it carry it in both SD and HD and put it on one of their digital tiers with channels like H2 or bio. They just aren't in as many homes yet to justify charging an ad rate that would draw in similar ads. Ads are like mini-TV shows when it comes to production, people in them need to get paid too. Those as seen on TV style ads are a lot cheaper to produce.

17. mike62

mike62 Mentor

Mar 9, 2006
    Commercials have taken over for sure no such thing as a 30 minute show or the like. What has really disturbed me as much or even more is about every channel feels the need to put their insignia or call letters on the screen I am watching. Do they think I don't know what channel I have selected to watch? If not that is what the guide if for.

And.......if it could not get any worse the channels that bring huge ads across the bottom promoting upcoming shows or has people step out on the the screen to promote a show. Often this takes a large part of the screen and if you are watching something with captions you miss half of the captions due to advertising!

18. F1aReD

F1aReD AllStar

Sep 27, 2011
    So basically, commercials are definitely here to stay...and may only get worse as the years go on.

I'm glad I have a DVR to skip through all the commercials, that's all I gotta say...

19. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Beware gentlemen, they are out there wringing their hands in anticipation of some geek that makes it impossible to skip,slip, or ff passed them.
    They put more money into it than America does into cancer research.
    Enjoy the good ole days while you can.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I will say, I much prefer commercials to ads they sometimes insert into the actual dialog of the show. Examples like Toyota in Bones, the whole Skype thing on Pawn Stars etc. I'll forgive Subway with Chuck as that was done better, and it at least temporarily saved the show.

If more ads were entertaining, I think more people might at least watch them once, and even remember them.