1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's With The Audio Dropouts Today 9/1

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by EdL, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1 of 34
    EdL

EdL Mentor

Sep 1, 2007
    Is anybody else experiencing audio dropouts every 2 minutes or so. It doesn't matter what channel. Resetting the box does nothing.

Uuggghhh

2. Sep 1, 2012 #2 of 34
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Which receiver do you have ?
    How is it hooked up to the TV or AV ?

3. Sep 1, 2012 #3 of 34
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Do you have a AVR connected it for speakers?

Kevin

Edit: jimmie57 beat me to it

4. Sep 1, 2012 #4 of 34

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Yes AGAIN and it hasn't been just today either.

5. Sep 1, 2012 #5 of 34
    EdL

EdL Mentor

Sep 1, 2007
    Yes, a Yamaha A2000.

6. Sep 1, 2012 #6 of 34
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are hooking the Yamaha up with an HDMI can you also run and optical cable or a digital coax and assign either of those for your sound ?

I have mine set up this way and we are not experiencing any sound problems.

7. Sep 1, 2012 #7 of 34
    EdL

EdL Mentor

Sep 1, 2007
    Thanks for confirming, I was thinking about giving that a try. I'm wondering what happened, I never had this problem before.

8. Sep 2, 2012 #8 of 34
    RGoldman

RGoldman Cool Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Having audio dropouts for the last week or so every couple of minutes. Annoying as hell. I just got a new receiver yesterday and will be hooking it up today. Hopefully that fixes it but I am not confident it will have any effect as this seems to be a new and unrelated issue. Took me almost a year to get them to replace my defective hr-24 with a different one and now this audio problem. Pretty frustrating experience so far since making the switch to Directv. I hope this year is better than the last!

9. Sep 2, 2012 #9 of 34
    EdL

EdL Mentor

Sep 1, 2007
    Just finished connected the optical cable and it's the same as it ever was. Using a HR-24 500 with oft ware 0x5d2, Tue 6/19, 3:05a
    Troubleshooting results: dropouts (decoder off displays on A20000) ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, no dropouts on HBO, FoxNews, CNN, AUDHD.
    This leads me to begin its DirecTV satellite signal issue. Thoughts?

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That is strange. I am watching NBC local and do not have the sound drop outs.
    I was watching 209HD earlier when the drag racing was on and did not notice it there either.

I have the same software that you have.

Sorry that it did not help you out.

11. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    It's not a say strength issue. It's more of a Dolby digital issue. Basically what is happening is that the DD signal is going out of sync and has to "drop sound" to resync itself. It's much more technical than I just explained but this hits the majority of it.

Kevin

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    unless the OP lives in the same market as you do, the locals signals are different.

13. EdL

EdL Mentor

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm in Bellevue, NE about 8 miles from downtown Omaha. The problem just started.
    I'll do some more trouble shooting later today - different receiver, box, in a different room.

14. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    Kevin, do you have any idea how we can prevent the signal from going "out of sync". It's a pain in the butt.

15. orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk Mentor

May 17, 2010
    I live in Portland, Oregon area and the last two days have been experiencing the same terrible audio drop outs from a split second, 5-6 seconds, to 15-18 seconds........seem to be only one the major Network channels so far - ABC, CBS. NBC and FOX.
    I have called DTV Tech S. two days ago and am now going to call again after reading here that there are others having same lousy problems.:mad:

16. flashfast

flashfast AllStar

Dec 12, 2006
    I've been having the problem for 2-3 days too on PPV, TLC, etc.

17. orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk Mentor

May 17, 2010

I called DTV Tech Support about this problem again - last night......was told that these kind of things can be caused by all different kinds of things [not related to DTV] all most likely on my end. Maybe need to go to Optical Digital connection rather than HDMI - I was told to try that. Have not done so yet.......WEIRD though, appears to ONLY be on the major network channels, so how could that tell them/me that it is caused by something on my end........WHY would'nt it be on ALL channels?
    WHY did this just start about 8/1....I asked TS if they recently updated the software possibly on my 500 Receiver.....we checked and NO they had not......last update was several months ago I believe.
    Still scratching me head over this!

PLEASE let us know IF anyone figures this out....

TKS michael

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It seems it could be an issue with the uplink of your locals- the locals of the major networks, that is.

Others seem to be a receiver not syncing with the audio signals, in which case an optical connection, or straight wires from the receiver to the amp's audio input might get around the HDMI problem.

19. mreposter

mreposter Hall Of Fame

Jul 29, 2006
    What's odd to me is that with the last software upgrade earlier in the summer the audio dropouts stopped, but now in the last couple of weeks they've returned with a vengeance.

20. orbeavhawk

orbeavhawk Mentor

May 17, 2010
    TKS for the reply.........today I dug out an old Optical Digital cord and ran it from my DTV Receiiver into my Pioneer AVR......so now I have BOTH cables, HDMI and the O/D Cables running between to two......some brief tests on several major network channels has been positive thus far [did notice a few of those split second hickups - due to DD resynch[ nothing I can't live with].
    Will know for sure tonight when I have it on longer....hoping/praying that this did it though.....if you don't hear back you will know that this stabilized the lousy problem.

TKS michael