1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats with the Sonic channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Bud33, May 19, 2010.

1. Bud33

Bud33 Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    I am getting "Searching for signal" errors on certain Sonic channels such as 807 and 855. And 852 which is titled as Jazz is anything but!!!
    Whats up. It sure isn't XM any more!!!:mad::nono2::mad:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Did you previously get those channels? Some of the Music Channels are beamed from the 119ºW satellite dish, so unless you have an older 3-LNB or newer 5-LNB SlimLine dish, you won't get them.

3. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    807 and 855 are working here, as for 852 they are playing jazz

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    There are more than 25 Sonic Tap channels that show "channel not purchased" on my screen.

Even after three CSR calls I was unable to find out just which music channels I should be receiving. First CSR had no idea what Sonic Tap was.

For the record, most of those 25 channels are worthless to me (as are a lot of the ones I can receive), but I would like the Show Tunes, Piano, and Holiday channels in particular. Since these channels in total don't take up very much bandwidth I would think DirecTV would let everyone listen to all of them. I got all the Music Choice channels with my previous cable provider and my daughter gets all the music channels with her DishTV.

5. scoop8

scoop8 Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    Dallas TX
    The SonicTap issue is rather confusing, imo. There are 2 points:

1) There are a few channels that are located on the 119 bird, whcih means you'd need the SL5 or the older SL3 dish to receive them, if I'm not mistaken.

2) To receive all of the channels, I think you need the premium pkg. That's the one I have and I am able to receive all of the SonicTap channels ( I have a SL5 dish). I think there are a few that are excluded in the lower-tier sub pkgs. The DTV site should have that information for you.

6. Impala1ss

Impala1ss Godfather

Jul 22, 2007
    In addition to a very lousy song selection, wide variation in volume between Sonic channels, just what we need - more problems.

7. trentonresident

trentonresident New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I also used to get 852, Rat Pack, other channels - which are either intermittent - digital signal breakup (cutting in and out) or "searching for satellite." Again - these previously worked and I have the proper package.

8. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The following Sonic Tap (DMX) music channels are on the 119 satellite:

807, 815,824,852, 853, 855, 861, 865, 870, 873, 876, 877, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884

If you are getting "searching for satellite" while listening to any of these channels, you are having a problem getting an adequate signal from the 119 satellite. It has nothing to do with Sonic Tap and if you tried to watch any of the Spanish channels also sent over the 119, they would be intermittant also.

The only subscribers that get ALL the Sonic Tap channels are those with the Premier package. This is detailed in the "channel/package comparison" section of the DirecTV web site. DirecTV NEVER gave ALL the music channels to the lower-priced packages (and neither does DISH network as one poster alluded to). The lower priced DISH packages only offer 20 music channels and no Sirius. While cable may have an "all or nothing" digital music policy, you are no doubt paying for it one way or the other.

The music on Sonic Tap (DMX) has been around a lot longer than their affiliation with DirecTV. In fact, I got it on cable from 1995-1999. The music is designed and programmed for retail stores, hence no interruptions. While some people preferred the XM programming, I for one think the Sonic Tap programming is VASTLY superior-especially not having to listen to irritating disc jockeys or learning that my favorite channel has been replaced for a week or so with some specialty programming featuring an artist I don't like.

As for the poster who doesn't like the DMX "Jazz" channel, try listening to "Classic Jazz Vocal Blend" (channel 850). This channel is NOT all vocals and is quite similar to the XM "real jazz" channel. I listen to it all the time and it's also on the 101 satellite so you won't have signal problems. ;)

9. ub1934

ub1934 Icon

Dec 30, 2005
    UpState NY
    Why are they on 119 , they should all be where we can get them if we have the " Premier Package " & have the slimline 3 setup . 852 is not Jazz you do have to go to 850 which is good but sound needs some more work.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I've got the right dish. I don't get a "searching for signal" message. I get "channel not purchased."

My point was why can't DirecTV provide all the music channels to all its customers as other providers do? I expect their Marketing Department has the answer to that...

I don't know which Dish package my daughter has, but it includes all the music channels. There's even a Hawaiian music channel.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    <deleted duplicate answer>

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    WHICH channel(s) gives you this message? Which package do you have?

They do. Just like other providers. You need the PREMIER package to get all the music channels just like you need the top-end package from "other providers" to get all the music channels.

Probably "America's Top 250" which costs a fortune...just like Premier.

13. abbeyroad

abbeyroad New Member

May 27, 2010
    I have contacted them and they are nice but the programers are so off the mark on Silver Screen and New Age. Silver Screen plays a good symphony movie sound track and then some vocal trash. New Age is 50% flute music. They have the wrong people programing. XM is pro this is a joke

14. spaul

spaul Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    I,have found since the audio has been greatly improved from it,s inital start.Comparing it to XM for me and my wife the channels we enjoy are 60,s&malt shop as well as Rat Pack also the Jazz chs.&country too.Since the sound has been fixed I enjoy the Rat Pack ch. most since XM dropped Standards and didn,t replace it with sirously Sinatra at least to fill the void.Now even though I have a very large Sinatra collection of cds it,s still nice to have the Rat Pack to just turn to and get a nice blend with Sinatra sprinkled in the regular mix.All & all I have Directv for TV and music channels or choices are nice but, wouldn,t change my Tv provider just because of the music .I,m sure Sonic tap has its pro people & neg. people but, I can live with it over anything else and enjoy it when I do listen in between my mostly using Directv for the HD viewing I have on my 3 Hd set ups.

15. Bud33

Bud33 Legend

Jan 26, 2006
    If 852 is Jazz on your receiver, it sure is different than mine!!!! or your definition of jazz is!

16. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    About 27 of the music channels give me the message. None say "searching." I've got Total Choice grandfathered, whatever that means. Three phone calls to DirecTV failed to get me a list of what should be included in that old package, which of course is pre-Sonic Tap. I also understand why DirecTV got rid of the name "Total Choice" since total is misleading.:rolleyes:

I understand that I need the premiere package with DirecTV to get all of the music channels. I'm just suggesting that DirecTV offer all the channels to all subscribers as AT LEAST SOME other providers do.

Adelphia and TimeWarner had ALL the Music Choice channels available in my low-end (no premiums) package several years ago.

And my daughter doesn't have any premium channels in her Dish package.

There are less than ten music channels that I would consider worth listening to -- Holidays, Piano, and Show Tunes are three of them and none of these are available to me (except Show Tunes this week only).

I'm working on a pro and con list about whether I should switch to FiOS. The music channels are on the pro list; the limited hard disk space of the FiOS DVR is on the con list. Now that WGN HD is available with DirecTV, I've scratched that from the pro list.

17. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Why should D* give all of the music channels to every subscriber? If you want more music channels then get a better package. Why should someone paying $30 per month get the same music channels I get in the package I pay about $130 per month for?

18. GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    Yes, but Choice Plus gets all but 2 or 3 of the Sonic Tap channels, provided you can receive the signal from the 119deg. satellite. I had a 3LNB setup and shortly after the switch to Sonic Tap found I was missing some channels I was entitled to. I complained and was changed over to a 5LNB setup, so I could get the Sonic Tap channels on 119.

19. spaul

spaul Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    I,don,t know if just a coincidence but,after getting MVR set up installed Sat.5/29 everything worked well .One of my bxs was swapped out when I went to make a new custom list for it like my other bxs I,notice Rat Pack was missing .Thinking it might not be done loading all schedule info since it was a new bx but, whgen I checked my other 2 it was missing form my custom list .It also didn,t show up when I switched to all channels as well.Anyone else notice this or any other channels .I,didn,t check at Directv site or call them yet since I was thrilled with my new home network set up and been trying that out.i,hope they didn,t remove this music channel especially since I previously wrote hgow it was one of my go to listening channels.

20. spaul

spaul Godfather

Jul 18, 2009
    please excuse my typing errors but,the jest of my comments & questions should be understood.