WHDRV price for Install?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bjohn34, Jan 14, 2011.

1. bjohn34

bjohn34 Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    Called Directv today to get a quote on a WHDRV setup and was told $199. Is this the price I should expect to pay when I don't need any new receivers or a wireless connection kit? I have 3 HD DVR and an ethernet connection near one of my receivers. Also, I was wondering if I'm missing anything by not having my HD DVR hooked up to the internet? I ask this because I already have an PS3 and a Viera Cast TV which are hooked up to the net. Right now I have the TV hardwired but upon learning that the PS3 is the only device the allows for 5.1 sound with Netflix, I don't think I will be using Viera Cast much and could connect the DVR.

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    In my opinion, WH / MRV has been a gamechanger for this family (of 2)! And or several other friends and aquainteses (sp?) that also like it.

No internet connection is needed (just DECA / Ethernet) but with an internet connection you get Video on Demand - lots of stuff there - downloaded through the internet from most of the channels, and TV APPs - widgets that give you weather / Scores and several other apps . . some useful, some not.

And I forgot 'you tube' videos that are rolling out with the current National Release.

3. sungam

sungam Legend

May 10, 2007
    There's one fixed price for the upgrade... currently $199, although you may be able to negotiate it down somewhat. For the first 6 months or so it was $99.

Do you have a Single Wire Multiswitch system? If not they'll have to update you to one... new dish, splitter and power inserter. Also DECAs for your DVRs (unless they're HR24s), a broadband DECA for the Internet connection and any other miscellaneous bits that might be needed.

Without the Internet connection, no Media Share, TV Apps, DIRECTV2PC and OnDemand downloads. Also no PPV ordering with your remote unless you have a phone line connected.

4. bjohn34

bjohn34 Mentor

Sep 24, 2007
    Thanks sungam that's the info I needed about the price. I'll wait it out since I can live with out it for now. I'm guessing when my 2 boys get a little older it will be a must have item.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Just check back every now and then. You might get them to throw you a bone. That's what I did when I upgraded to HD and got WHDVR.

- Merg