1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHDVR Issue - 3 receivers; 1 not visible

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by pseudoswede, Jun 2, 2011.

1. pseudoswede

pseudoswede New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    After reading countless threads, I'm kind of stuck on how to proceed.

DTV Setup:
    HR23-700 (a.k.a. "MAIN") - leased from DTV, for some odd reason identified by DTV as an HR24-100 (has been corrected)
    HR23-700 (a.k.a. "BEDROOM") - owned, bought off Craigslist last week, activated with no issues
    R22-200 (a.k.a. "BASEMENT") - owned, bought off Craigslist last week, activated with no issues

Network Setup:
    20mb Xfinity internet (soon to be 20mb DSL)
    Vizio WR100 wireless router
    TrendNet 303e 200mbps powerline adapter is connected to the router
    MAIN is connected to a TrendNet 303e adapter
    BEDROOM is connected to a TrendNet 302e (200mbps) powerline adapter
    BASEMENT is connected to a TrendNet 302e adapter

I activated WHDVR while DirecTV thought MAIN was an HR24. After activation, I had them change the model number to the correct type. All three receivers have received the message that WHDVR has been activated on that receiver.

After a few hours of trying to get the powerline ethernet adapters to see each other, I finally got all three receivers to successfully connect to the internet through powerline ethernet.

From a WHDVR perspective...

MAIN can see BEDROOM & BASEMENT
    BEDROOM can only see BASEMENT
    BASEMENT can only see BEDROOM

I have run the network setup countless times on all three receivers. All three have Share Playlist = Yes and Allow Deletion = From All Rooms.

What can be preventing MAIN from being seen by the other two DVRs?

BEDROOM and BASEMENT were purchased from the same seller, who had them running in his house until he deactivated service a few weeks ago.

Thanks in advance.

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Power line adaptors are problematic. Check your IP addreesses on all three boxes and make sure they are on the same subnet. If not you may have to re-run network setup on the one that isn't. Is there some reason you are hardwired instead of using SWiM and and a DECA network?

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I think this may be a clue as to the problem. The powerline adapters I've tried connected up pretty fast (under a minute). If it takes hours, there's likely connectivity issues between the adapters and that will likely cause MRV problems.

As azarby said, powerline adapters can be troublesome and I'd try to stay away from them when using MRV.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Four powerline adaptors in the same house is likely the main problem.
    I've seen 2 work well on many occasions (but not all). Four on the same powerline is likely to be having communications problems amongst themselves.

5. pseudoswede

pseudoswede New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    I have a SWM system. However, I didn't realize that I needed DECA adapters to connect the receivers together (DTV's website has so little detailed information about their WHDVR service). Instead, I bought four powerline adapters, so I'm determined to make them work instead of shelling out an additional $60-70 for three DECA adapters.

6. pseudoswede

pseudoswede New Member

Jun 1, 2011
    It took multiple reboots of each device and physically hooking them up to my netbook to reconfigure each of them to see the same network. Now it takes less than a minute for them to sync up with the adapter connected to the router.

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I think you'd be much better off and a lot happier with your system if you put the powerline adapters up for sale on eBay/Craigslist and bought 4 DECA's from the same.

In the meantime, you could try to set all your receivers to a static address outside the DHCP range of your router. That may help, but I really do think that MRV is not playing nicely with your 4 powerline adapters.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Did you try just letting the receivers sit for a while after you got them working with the internet? Sometimes it takes a little while for them to all see each other over the network and start working with WH-DVR. Continuously re-running network setup, etc. could have just been causing more issues.