1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHDVR- only one receiver access the list at a time?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dem372, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 #1 of 12
    dem372

dem372 Cool Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Is it normal to only be able to access your recorded shows from one receiver at a time? I have a family room DVR with bedroom and basement receivers connected to it. The wife is in the bedroom watching something from the family room list. The kids are in the basement wanting to watch something from the list, but they get an error. Is this normal? Thanks.

2. Oct 9, 2010 #2 of 12
    CorkyMuldoon

CorkyMuldoon Godfather

Oct 6, 2006
    I believe that's by design. Only one receiver can stream from a DVR at a time.

3. Oct 9, 2010 #3 of 12
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    You should see the little "international do no enter" symbol on shows that you can't play from the remote Receiver/DVR.

4. Oct 9, 2010 #4 of 12
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The DVR can only "serve" one remote stream at a time (it can also play a local show on the TV it is attached to).

5. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    Whoa, wait a minute. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but are you saying that if you have a single DVR and 2 connected receivers, only one of the remote TVs can watch something off the DVR at a time? I've been thinking of switching to DTV from Dish but if that limitation exists, it's a dealbreaker for me. How is that not a problem for everyone else? My current Dish 622 can play separate DVR events on both connected TV's.

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You can watch one recorded program via MRV and another on the TV which is connected to the DVR, but the DVR will only serve to one remote receiver at a time.

7. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Each DVR can stream one out and one in. It can't serve two clients at the same time. It can play locally and stream to one remote receiver, with different content, or the same content.
    If I need more than one remote client being served, I use my second DVR. ;)

8. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I'd recommend replacing one the HD receivers with a DVR and distribute the Series Links in a manner most likely to avoid the conflicts with streaming. For example, have one recording wife's and kids content. If she's watching that DVR, fine, the kids can still stream it from another receiver or DVR while you stream or watch your shows recorded on the other DVR. Having more DVRs avoids the conflicts and also increases the amount of available tuners.

9. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    OK, thanks for the info guys. I was trying to avoid having to get a second DVR, but even if I did get a second one, I would potentially come up against the limitation anyway if the second DVR was already serving a program to one TV and I wanted to watch something else on a different TV that happened to be recorded on the same DVR. Bummer. I guess I won't be switching after all.

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You might want to wait for what's coming out next. Think of this as a double DVR that will handle many clients at the same time.

11. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    Have any time lines for this box been given?

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    VOS is referring to the HMC-30, which was slated to be released at the end of 2010/2011.

- Merg