1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHDVR with Playon

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by skasap, Jan 17, 2011.

1. skasap

skasap Cool Member

Jan 23, 2006
    I did a search but did not find an answer. Here is the question. I have whdvr with Broadband Deca going to be connected from the SWM in my attic wired down to my router. Will I be able to use Playon or TVersity with this connection? I am currently using an old wireless adapter and that brings up media share but wireless is horrible. Will media share work with this setup?
    RG6 from SWM wired to router with BB powered Deca..
    Thanks In Advance.

2. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    Yes, Media Share will still work and be faster with the BB DECA wired to router.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I tried both wireless and powerline networking between my router and one of my Directv boxes. Media Share video was pretty hopeless until I upgraded to WHDVR with DECA networking; now it works great (well, there still are some issues, but they aren't because of networking).

4. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I've used PlayOn a lot both before and since I switched to WHDS. It does work better with the DECA system. I've used it with local files, YouTube, Netflix and Hulu and all work well.

5. poppagene

poppagene AllStar

Jul 20, 2007
    I'll second this -- playon, tversity, WHDVR, Media Share all work splendidly with DECA taking the place of powerline and/or wireless.

6. stlmike

stlmike Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    I just tried to play last night's Duke NC State game through PlayOn (ESPN3) and it fails on my HR22-100. Multiple attempts. It flashed the pic of Kyle Singler with a little "loading" in the middle, then after about 30 seconds, it times out and goes back to the ESPN3 game listing. In contrast, the same game streams perfectly to my iPhone 4. However, the Texas / Texas A&M game is playing just fine.

To call the D* implemetation of a media server smooth or polished would be a massive overstatement, but it is usually functional. I'm not sure I understand why the Duke game streams to my phone, yet not the D* box. And also then why does the other game work on the D* box? Kinda strange.

7. stlmike

stlmike Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    I just tried to play Netflix movie from my instant queue on my HR20-700 via PlayOn. The titles show up, but as soon as I hit play, it pauses for 5-10 seconds and then goes back to live tv. Alternatively, I can play the movie on my iPhone with no problem at all. It seems the timeout on the HR may be set too low as the iPhone takes 15ish seconds to buffer before it starts playing.

I am on the NR for all my HR's and have the latest version of the PlayOn server running. Anyone else having these problems?

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This appears that it could be a MediaShare issue. I would post it in the appropriate Issues thread for the HR20.

- Merg

9. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Almost 100% of the time for me when I try and watch Neflix on my DVR using PlayOn, I have happen what you are describing.

However, also 100% of the time for me when that happens, when I choose the very same program again right away it works fine. Again, this works for me every time.

By the way, for my main TV, I picked up one of the WD streaming boxes over Christmas for about $75. It works flawlessly (hardwired). Neflix and every file format I throw at it looks and works great. It's a great solution for short money.

10. stlmike

stlmike Legend

Aug 24, 2007
    Yes, pressing the same selection usually works for me too, just not on the day I posted my earlier message.

I have an appletv that works very well on one of my tvs. It is an amazing device!

Im just hoping media share gets an overhaul or some refinements to make it more of a useful feature for more people.