1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do you pick yours up?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by n8dagr8, Jun 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
  2. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    As a concept, I think it sounds like a very good idea. However, they seem to be starting off here with the wrong attitude.
    Letting convicted sex offenders know authorities are aware and keeping an eye on them is a deterent. Developing a personal relationship and rapport might not be a totally bad idea either, for several reasons.

I'm not talking about forgiveness or psychobabble validation sessions or group hugs. I'm talking about getting to know them on an intimate(perhaps the wrong adjective:rolleyes: ) level. Getting to know "what makes them tick".

The offender might come to look on the officer as a friend, at least someone who knows him, someone he can turn to. Perhaps someone he does not want to let down. The officer on the other hand, once he gets to know the offender, might be able to detect subtle clues in mood or attitude that might indicate a relapse. And probably, if a related crime is committed in the community, be able to judge better if his "client" is involved.

Initiating such a program with the intention of "shooing" the offender out of the community is NOT going to work, at least in the sense the offender simply becomes a problem for another community, and angrier and more alienated, and more determined to hide his identity than ever. And it will probably lead to accusations and lawsuits charging harrassment.

3. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004

Yep. I think keeping tabs on these individuals is the best solution but chasing them out of town is only going to pass the problem on to someone else. I agree in that I would not want a sex offender living next door to me (if I had kids). I be a little happier (if this was the case) knowing that the police had an active interest in the actions of said sex offender - as opposed to having an activist group plastering the neighborhood with posters and signs.

4. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
  5. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Yeah, I saw this somewhere else. Sounds like a gimmick to prey on fear, get some free publicity and probably jack up the price of the homes a bit. What if you own a home there and THEN become a sex offender? Can you be forced to sell?

But where did "Milwaukee Ridge" come from?:scratch: In TEXAS?:scratchin

Does Milwaukee have some universal cachet I am unaware of? I was born there and can tell you there's nothing special about Milwaukee. It's got a nice lakefront but basically it's just a typical grimy northern industrial city too close to Chicago to ever develop a unique, individual identity. Don't get me wrong, I love the place, lots of fond memories. It just ain't the most spectacular destination on the planet.:nono:

Of course, if you're living in Texas, I guess even Milwaukee sounds exotic.:p:D

6. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I had an engineering project at a Milwaukee public high school a few years ago. I spent several weeks up there flying home on weekends. It seemed like a nice place but like you said, nothing too spectacular. I swear I rememebr seeing a bar or pub on every corner.

I saw this on the local TEXAS news last week. It does seem like a reasonable solution for those who want to pay for it. A background check isn't going to solve everything. There are lots of offenders who have never been caught and/or arrested.

7. n8dagr8

Aug 14, 2004
    That was my first thought - use all the attention media is giving this and make a quick buck. They had a guy who was doing this on CNBC a while back - he seemed like a scammer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.