When do you think Dish should stop carriage of SD locals that have an HD ?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by scooper, Aug 16, 2019.

1. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    Now - I realize some of this is driven by contracts, but in most cases, I would think that Dish would be better off to stop carriage of SD duplicates of HD locals. They could possibly save the bandwidth for other purposes, and god knows that would open up quite a bit.

There MAY be some subs who are still in the SD only era (only God knows why), since all new subs have to have HD capable receivers.

Any thoughts ?

2. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    I think the larger problem might be the number of eastern subscribers with western arc dishes for the SD locals in many DMA's. Many would need to be converted to eastern arc to get the HD locals. That would mean a truck roll for each one plus any LOS issues that kept them on the western arc in the first place.

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    A few years ago, I would have agreed with you, but now - not so much. Most viewers want HD locals if it is available.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are receivers that can do 8PSK MPEG2 but not 8PSK MPEG4 (SD or HD). I doubt that there are many in this situation.

They could probably kill the Western Arc SD Locals ... perhaps even replace them with HD in some markets (they can fit about the same number of HD MPEG4 8PSK channels in the same space as SD MPEG2 QPSK ... and many of the spotbeams are stil QPSK). But there is probably something I am overlooking.

5. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Not just locals, they need to get rid of all SD duplicates.

Michael P likes this.
  6. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Make it 100% HD?

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    He's not saying that at all. There are channels that are SD only or even audio only. He's only referring to SD duplicates of channels currently in HD.

Michael P likes this.
  8. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    One issue with SD, if Dish drops all SD, then if the signal drops during heavy rain, then we would totally lose it. Channels will drop into the SD mode if the signal is weak. That is a good thing. Right now I don't see a list of channels Dish is adding. I have not heard that Dish is totally out of space anyway. I don't mind SD. In fact a lot of the diginet fare is only in SD. I hope Dish adds more of those. Channels like METV, Get TV, Buzzr,are great.

Michael P likes this.
  9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    When you are using Eastern Arc - there is no drop back to SD locals unless you have gone to the effort of a second dish covering the satellite they are on. And yes - in NC I had done this.

NYDutch likes this.
  10. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    Wanting doesn't help if they don't have EA LOS at their location...

11. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    That is exactly why I want them to get rid of SD duplicates.

12. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I thought of the same thing MWDXER did regarding switching to SD during heavy rain/snow signal loss. The receiver now handles that automatically and its a welcome event when it happens.

dennispap likes this.
  13. BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    We need SD for at least 2 reasons..
    (1)- weather as mentioned #8 of this thread.
    (2)- Changing screen format can only be done on a SD channel. I wish that the full screen (with no text cut off ) can be the default on all channels. I don't like to see a small screen with gray bars on the sides or top, bottom.
    The DISH 20.0 IR remote has format below the 7 button.
    The Hopper 3 remote does not have that feature.

14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, especially the weather related issues. It is the difference between having and not having TV during heavy rain.

15. NYDutch

Dec 28, 2013
    The 40.0 remote also has "Format" below the '7' button.

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    As I pointed out - if you have EASTERN ARC, you do not have this autoswitch to an SD version of the channel UNLESS you have setup a 2nd dish to get this.