1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is HD charge going away?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by djwww98, Nov 26, 2018.

1. djwww98

djwww98 Godfather

Jan 11, 2006
    Since SD is going away in 2019, or at least the mpeg2 equipment that carries it, how can they justify charging extra for the "special HD" equipment.

2. Jasqid

Jasqid Legend

Oct 26, 2008
    Ohio
    If will be renamed 4k charge. :/

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    well I think it's part the of base equipment fee.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    They don't have to justify it. It's just a fee. They remove it, they find somewhere else to get the revenue.

5. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Directv grandfathers in everybody's billing, so if you are paying for HD as a separately billed item now you will always pay for HD. Others who signed up after you did pay the charge as part of the "advanced receiver fee" which was $25 and lumps in the HD fee, DVR fee and whole home fee - paying $2 more than you.

Those who signed up even later pay only a $15 charge for "advanced receiver fee" but pay for the first receiver while you get your first receiver free, so despite not paying for HD they only save $1 over what you pay.

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    The OP asks a very good question. I suspect that not only will they keep the HD charge but add in a 4K channel charge if 4K ever gets enough traction.

The reason that they hide the HD charge into the receiver charge for new owners is that it probably would have been such a WTF moment with the potentially new customer and Sales agent if it was mentioned as an extra charge. Probably such bad a reaction that most people would immediately end their negotiations with Directv.

I am kinda sitting back with my Popcorn waiting to see how all this plays out. These companies have all had a good run on giving lousy service while charging big $$$. I think streaming both legally and illegally are starting to make a serious dent and I am wondering how they are going to cope with all the new competition.

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Didn’t they already have a 4K fee that they did away with?

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    No Originally 4K was only available on Ultimate and Premier.. Then they added it to all packages

9. Eva

Eva Member

Nov 8, 2013
    Think everyone still charging it. My aunt did a WTF when her cable bill said the HD fee was going up.

10. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    This is one of the many reasons the trickle of folks ditching sat/cable over the past couple of years has now turned into a large river. It will only accelerate driven by increased competition and as more people realize their are legitimate alternatives. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Rich likes this.
  11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is only older subscribers (old subscriptions) that see a "HD Fee". Perhaps one day AT&T will rework their bills to recalculate the fees so older accounts don't see the fee. I am surprised by how many fee level and grandfathered subscription levels DIRECTV supports. I don't believe DISH "forced" all of the customers paying for HD to "Free HD for Life" - but HD has been no extra charge on new customer bills for several years.

12. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Salt rubbed into the wound :eek:

I really do not want to see DTV just lumping the charge under a new label. What I want to see is loyal longtime customers getting better deals or ones that are close to deals of those that just sign up. They say you will get discounts etc as the years pass but nothing even comes close to the prices you get during that first year of service. (Yeah I know I am dreaming:oops: )

If AT&T really bought DTV to slowly dismantle it and turn it into a streaming service they made one of the most bone headed moves in business history! Five to Ten years from now they will be competing with numerous other players that are not nearly as greedy while giving up on a business that only has one other competitor.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Too many posts about people calling in and getting $50-$60 off their bill per month. Please don't pretend longtime customers NEVER get a deal.

And in case you missed it, AT&T is NOT interested in shutting down the satellite service. They want to grow alternatives that follow where their customers are going - but they are not shutting down satellite to push people to streaming. That is a lie that has been told far too many times and the people spreading that lie need to STOP.

tecnicoloco, Rich, MysteryMan and 3 others like this.
  14. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I am guessing…

It may be because, in the industry, SD and HD are counted as separate channels in overall available programming. That SD still exists. It is still the default. And for a customer wanting HD, they have to pay extra for applicable programmers’ feeds.

15. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    I thought D announced that they were not going to provide SD support anymore as of a certain date, which was why the question was asked...

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've had D* since 2002. This year I got so many credits I stayed. I'm down to ~ $45 a month. Lowest it has ever been. I don't expect to get that many credits next year but I know I'll get enough to stay. I could have dropped the top tier PP that I have and dumped a couple HRs and I'd be paying $0.00.

Rich

17. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Wow sorry if I am rubbing you the wrong way but I have been out of the loop for several years and just sitting back and enjoying DTV when suddenly $40 per month was added in one month to an already slowly climbing bill.

As I said "If Directv plans to move to streaming only etc etc.."
    I said "IF" because my own CSR conversations came off as if very few employees even care about DTV anymore. Then I come here and read this:

AT&T CFO says new DirecTV service will be self-installed box instead of truck roll | FierceVideo

Of course to those not following the daily game it makes perfect sense. One of their biggest monthly expenses must be truck rolls and Satellite monitoring and CSR's. I find it hard to imagine half measures years from now as streaming grows and sat customers dwindle there has to be a cut off point were there is just not enough customers to justify truck fleets and Sats.

Anyway I hope you are right. Do you have any links to statements were DTV has said they are committed to long term Sat delivery? I am not doubting your belief it's just that I would love to know with your certainty that all will be well in the future.

As for discounts, yes I got $60 off and then it was tacked back on the following month. It feels like every month I am going to have to call and argue with them about my bill and their promises.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    dreadlk likes this.
  19. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
  20. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Satellite "monitoring" costs them very little - they'd probably spend more monitoring a big streaming operation because they'd need to be aware of internet outages everywhere in the US. The only expense that matters for satellites is building/launching new ones. Everything else is so tiny by comparison it hardly matters.

The new product will probably require just as many CSRs - people will be calling in all the time when their internet is out, or they did something to their home network that screwed it up. Hardware will still fail occasionally, or not work right with a particular TV or AVR. I don't know what percentage of their calls are related to a problem with the dish or a hardware failure in the Genie, but those are really the only calls that won't happen with streaming, but as I noted there will be new types of calls they get so the CSR budget will likely remain the same.