1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When they shut off your box question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chris37, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Chris37

Chris37 Cool Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Hello,

I just had a quick question when Directv shuts off your service can I still access the DVR or no?? Have a couple of movies on there still. If I can't not a big deal.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Before you have them pull the plug, removed the coax feed from the dish to the DVR.
    If you do this, you can still watch the recordings, but "I think" if you've waited until the "kill it" signal has been sent, you'll be SOL.

3. Chris37

Chris37 Cool Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Okay thank you for your help.

4. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Also, remember two things:

1. DirecTV will probably want the box back so transfer your recordings (or just watch them) as soon as possible.

2. Current DirecTV receivers expect a "refresh" signal from the satellite to verify that they are part of an active subscription every now and then so depending on when your boxes got their last "refresh" signal they will suddenly stop working.

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    NOT if they are HR20's...

Well, both my HR20's that were disco'd back in August continue to playback my DVR'd programs just fine - actually, they're now relative speed demons since NOT being in the sat stream! :D

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Are they OTA recordings, or recordings from the sat stream?

7. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Both...