1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When was your last sick day?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Stuart Sweet, May 1, 2009.

When was your last sick day?

1. Dude, I'm on one now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Within the last year

11 vote(s)
    11.2%
  3. Within the last 2-3 years

48 vote(s)
    49.0%
  4. Within the last 4-5 years

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Within the last 6-7 years

9 vote(s)
    9.2%
  6. Within the last 8-10 years

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. What's a sick day? (11+ years)

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. May 1, 2009 #1 of 45
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Just curious... when was the last day you called in sick to work?

The rules:

• Full day off, unexpectedly
    • You really were sick (no blue flu, fishing day, etc.)
    • You were out of contact with the office the whole day

2. May 1, 2009 #2 of 45
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    April, 1994. No I am not kidding. And I had to go straight into the hospital.

3. May 1, 2009 #3 of 45
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, like your last poll the last bullet point ruins it for me. I can't remember a time when I was out of contact for work for a whole day due to sickness. 3 years ago I was at a work convention and got really sick and had to skip the whole days activities and stayed in bed. I was still on the phone with co-workers and such throughout the day and several stopped by my hotel room to check on me. Last year I was at our home office in Ohio and got hit with kidney stones. Went to the hospital and got some pain killers, but still was back at the office by noon.

If I had to guess, it would probably be the early 90's.

4. May 1, 2009 #4 of 45
    Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    [cough, sneeze, oink, ???]

Edit
    You knew it had to be coming.... :lol:

5. May 1, 2009 #5 of 45
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    it took me 9 years professionally, and a few years prior in college/HS, to take a sick day.

In High School, if you had perfect attendance for a semester, you could pick an exam to skip. I learned very quickly how to schlep my disease ridden carcass around after that.

6. May 1, 2009 #6 of 45
    dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    The last day I was sick I did not feel good.

7. May 1, 2009 #7 of 45
    sideswipe

sideswipe Legend

Dec 4, 2008
    I usually use my sick days for my kids, but occasionally I do get 2 use them

8. May 1, 2009 #8 of 45
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Oops, voted before reading the rules.
    Was off yesterday but it was planned for doctor visits, and I logged into the office PC twice.
    I guess I can't remember, a sick day as described is unusual for me.

9. May 1, 2009 #9 of 45
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I worked in a job once where I had several years of perfect attendance. When evaluation time came, they rated me "average".

I also worked with a guy at the same job how took of a week "sick". If was funny when he was shown on TV walking around with the spectators of the US Open golf torunament that was in town the same week.

He was rated average also.

After that I started using sick leave when ever I was really sick.

10. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    My last sick day...or...the last day I was sick...not necessarily the same thing. :p

In this case however it is so it meets the criteria of the OP. April 17th. I banged my shin and it was so swollen that it was cutting of circulation to my foot. :eek2:

Before that you have to go back to last year sometime...actually being sick that is...but there were a few "Sick Days" in between. :grin:

I've heard it said; "Never waste a Sick Day being Sick." :D

Mike

11. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I took a sick day last month.

My previous instance of sick-day-taking was, I think, in the early 1990s.

12. scubajbc

scubajbc Cool Member

Jul 15, 2007
    i have been at my job ten and a half years. The last day I missed was a little over 8 years ago.
    The only day of high school that I missed was Senior Cut Day (I'm talking all 4 years.)

13. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Man, I think I skipped at least one day per week (usually Friday - loved 3 day weekends) my Senior year in high school.

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I had food poisoning. It is difficult to function when you can't decide from one moment to the next which end needs to be pointed at the commode.

15. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    No sick days since 1999.

16. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I can count on one hand the number of days I've stayed home from work because I was ACTUALLY ill in the last 15 years. Of that, I can think of only 1 for which I was out of contact with the office, and that was about a year ago. I'm generally an "up with the sun" kind of guy, but that day I was in bed until at least 2 or 3 in the afternoon. FOr me, that's bordering on "deathly ill". ;)

Other than that, the days' I've stayed home actually sick have been ones where I was under the weather, AND mostly caught up at the office, so I could afford to stay home and rest and supervise via email & phone the few other things that needed to be done. But always with the laptop on beside the chair and in contact with the office as needed. :)

17. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I usually take a sick day at least once every 2 years for the flu. I was sick 2 months ago with strep throat and didn't even feel like getting up off the couch.

I work around sick people. No matter how many times I wash my hands, I catch something sooner or later.

18. kocuba

kocuba Icon

Dec 29, 2006
    I took 2 day the end of Feb. went on the couch on a Sunday morning didn't get off till Tues evening. Usually get one of those once every 2-3 years.

19. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I had food poisoning following the Atlanta Falcons loss to the Broncos in the
    Superbowl. That was 1998. Haven't taken a sick day since.

20. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    Again, by the strict requirements, it's been quite some time for me. One, I've been fortunate to have had good health all these years and two, I work from home, so I don't have have to worry about getting up to go to an office. It really takes a lot for me to not be able to work. I think it was Harsh who alluded to food poisoning. He hit the nail on the head...:lol: