1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will E* switch to MPEG4?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Bismarck, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 3, 2005 #1 of 10
    Bismarck

Bismarck Mentor

Sep 28, 2004
    Does anyone have a good idea when E* is going to make the switch to MPEG4?

I'm thinking about upgrading by 921 to a 942, but not if it is going to be obsolete in 6 months. It is my undertstanding that none of the current receivers can be upgraded to MPEG4, i.e. it is going to require new hardware.

2. Jun 3, 2005 #2 of 10
    Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    There is no "official" schedule for MPEG-4. In the March Charlie Chat, it was said Fall of this year.

IFAIK, no current Dish receivers are MPEG-4 compatible.

3. Jun 3, 2005 #3 of 10
    chewey

chewey Legend

Jul 28, 2004
    If I had to bet the over/under I would say over a year.

4. Jun 3, 2005 #4 of 10
    tonyp56

tonyp56 Godfather

Apr 25, 2004
    I will not be upgrading any of my receivers for the foreseeable future! I would advise anyone else not to either. I mean at the very least if you can get them to do it, a 942 is going to run you $250 for you to lease! That is a lot of money only to have to upgrade again in a year or two. (IMHO)

5. Jun 3, 2005 #5 of 10
    Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    I upgraded to the 942, and love it! When, and that's a big ?, they upgrade to MPEG4, my unit will still receive the channels I get now, as Dish will slowly, repeat, slowly, switch the technology. When they come out with the next generation, they will not be throwing a switch, and all receivers are immediately obsolete. I think it is well worth doing now, so as to be able to use the HD PVR functions for the forseeable future. But that's just my take on it! To each his own.
    Tom in TX

6. Jun 3, 2005 #6 of 10
    Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    Slowly, yes. BUT, all NEW channels added will be in MPEG-4. That's why the current receivers will be obsolete.

7. Jun 3, 2005 #7 of 10
    Tom in TX

Tom in TX Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    True, but probably 90% of the recording I do is from OTA Network shows, which will remain useable, and therefore my machine will not be obsolete. Granted, if they add, for instance, Food NetworkHD, in MPEG4, I will not be able to watch it. But I will still be able to record things like CSI, Law/Order, etc. I guess it depends on how people use their machine whether or not it will quickly become obsolete.
    Tom in TX
    PS - did ya'll get some good storms today in OK?

8. Jun 3, 2005 #8 of 10
    Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    It was kinda spotty. Mostly they just scooted by and missed the OKC area. We're still under a tornado watch 'till 7PM, though. People N and W of us got hammered.

9. Jun 3, 2005 #9 of 10
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Actually it was mention new HD channels will required MPEG4 receiver, not the "all NEW channels ".

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    And also... IF you don't absolutely have to be an early adopter on the new channels they add in MPEG4... you can wait until they get to the point where they want to upgrade the whole system (SD and HD) to MPEG4, and they will be in a position to make a more attractive (perhaps free even) upgrade at that point because they will be faced with a large portion of their subscriber base who hasn't budged and won't spend a lot for the transition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.