1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are my locals?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Rop, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rop

Rop Cool Member

May 29, 2005
    Hi Guys/Gals,

Just finished self-installing a superdish (110-119-121) and a BellVue 20" dish with DP LNB to pull in 61.5, all going through a DPP44 into an 811. All bought for a fraction of retail on E-Bay. This being my first adventure with anything satellite related I'm pretty proud it's actually working! :D

After activating the receiver yesterday it's all working just fine, except for my locals. Having the "everything" pack they are included, however they're not showing in the on screen guide and therefore I can't select/view them. My understanding is that the 811 will only display in the guide what it's receiving, so I checked the sat/transponder, 119/7 spot beam in this case, and it's pulling in a strong signal so that's not it. My questions: Why aren't the locals showing up? How can I resolve this?

I used to subscribe to digital cable (and in fact still am, until I can give them a call the day after tomorrow). In case anyone is interested in a comparison: The high-definition channels on Dish are just a little softer than the ones on cable. Cable uses the native HD stream at 19.x Mbps, they don't recompress. The Dish HD channels miss a bit of the 'punch' that really good HD broadcasts have, where it appears as if you're looking through a window rather than a flat screen. The difference is pretty small though. The regular channels are noticibly softer (ie. more compressed) on Dish vs. cable, but still very much better than the analog channels on cable. All this is on a 60" rear projection LCD TV that shows picture flaws brutally.

-Rob-

2. kzosat

kzosat Legend

Aug 22, 2004
    Did you just subscribe to AEP or AEPw/locals? Locals are always and additoinal cost. The AEP is deceiving as it not not inclued EVERYTHING. Such as HD channels, outdoor channel, etc.

3. mudder1310

mudder1310 AllStar

May 15, 2005
    Are you sure your local aren't on the 105 satellite?

4. Rop

Rop Cool Member

May 29, 2005
    It said "AEP with locals" so that should included locals. What's more telling though is that the locals aren't even showing in my on-screen-guide. I would assume that if I were not subscribed to locals they would show in the guide, but be red-tagged like the other channels that aren't available.

They're on the 119 bird, transponder 7, according to the Dish channel guide

B.t.w. I agree that Dish's interpretation of "everything" is different from that in the dictionary...

-Rob-

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Call Dish and verify that is what you're supposed to be getting. Otherwise, they should be able to "hit" your receivers again to get them turned on.

BTW - the RDU locals look pretty decent on a 27" analog set.

6. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Raleigh locals are definitely on 119°. They are on a spot beam on transponder 7. Make sure you are receiving signal on that transponder. Then call Dish. The locals will appear in the 8750-8757 range right away. They will be mirrored to their OTA numbers (if that is how you have the 811 set) within a day or so.

See ya
    Tony

7. kzosat

kzosat Legend

Aug 22, 2004
    locals don't show on any receiver I had, until I subscribed to them. Not even under all Channels in the guide. I would call and double check that you have locals subscribed and if so, take it from there with tech support.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The cable companies are close Monday. HOLIDAY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.