Where can I buy brand new Directv receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by speakercity, Jul 15, 2010.

1. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    I just came from Best Buy. They stopped selling them a month ago. I called Pacific Sales and they said they're out of stock but should have more in 30 days.

What's the deal? Has Directv stopped selling its receivers in brick and mortars?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Try Solid Signal

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    1. DirecTV has stopped offering receivers in the big-box retailers, as they did a poor job of communicating that the receivers were leased and came with a commitment, etc.

2. DirecTV is experiencing very high demand for HD, SWM, and MRV-related equipment right now, and as such, that equipment is in short supply and on limited allocation. Production is being ramped up, but that takes a while.

3. You will still be LEASING the receiver, regardless of the retailer. You can only buy new receivers outright directly from DirecTV, unless it's an HR21 Pro.

4. speakercity

speakercity Mentor

Jan 13, 2009
    Did you read my previous posts?? :lol: In case you didn't, my only experience with solidsignal was a bad one.

1. Damn. So those of us with brains and the ability to read fine print are being punished because of the unwashed masses.

2. Wow. Looks like I better call today!

3. I never totally understood the lease policy. I know I have to pay an additional $6 per month to add a receiver to my account, but does Directv actually own the receiver? If I upgrade in 5 years, are they gonna make me send it back to them? Does not understanding make me part of the unwashed masses I was just bashing?

5. RobertE

RobertE Active Member

Jun 9, 2006
    1) Yes
    2) Probably the sooner the better.
    3a) Yes, DirecTv maintains ownership of the receiver.
    3b) If it's still a current receiver and not on the scrap list, yes they will want it back.
    3c) Yes it does. :p

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'm sorry to hear that you have had a problem with Solid Signal. I personally have purchased from them on a number of occasions and will not tell you that I have been 100% happy with every experience but I will say that when I have had an issue with them, they work quickly to resolve it..

7. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    What RobertE said.

And it's $5 a month, not $6, and it is the same $5 a month you would have paid back in 1998 when everyone owned their own stuff. It's a mirror fee, not a lease fee. Your first receiver is free but everyone after that is $5.

As for leasing, look at it this way: Say you do a deal and lease a DVR from DirecTV. In 4 years, when it is practically worthless and breaks, DirecTV will send you a replacement for $19 in shipping charges. That takes care of freight both ways, the new one to you and the POS you're sending back. That's a pretty great warranty on electronics, and that's even without the protection plan. That's the deal for everyone with a leased DVR. Plus, if you are like many of us who used to own their own receivers, you have a closet of old, useless receivers in your house. I am so glad I own them - NOT.

I have to admit that it took me a long time to warm to DirecTV's lease program, but now, if given the option, I wouldn't buy my own receivers, even if it cost exactly the same as leasing them.

8. GTS

GTS Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Directv authorized retailer here. PM me with your info and requirements. H and HR24s guaranteed.

____________EDIT____________

DON'T MEAN TO MISLEAD.... These are LEASED not sold units.

9. nike5580

nike5580 AllStar

Jun 29, 2010
    Pittsfield,...
    6th ave currently has the HR24 on sale for $186.08 and free ground shipping. I would post the link, but I'm still a new guy here, and do not have my 5 post in yet :).

10. fdglsg

fdglsg Cool Member

Jul 21, 2008
    You can try amazon that's where I got one of mine HR-24

11. RCFlyer

RCFlyer Cool Member

Nov 14, 2007
    So I have a simple and maybe dumb question about purchasing a receiver.... I am a current Dish/E iser and looking to go to D after they lost Disney and ABC Fm........kids just love those channels and I absolutely hate Dish customer service....

Anyway - I would be a new customer - I only need one HD Receiver - should I buy it and if I do - will I have to still pay $5 a month lease fee - which makes no sense to me.... The reason I would buy is because on want the latest H24 model and I understand there is no guarantee that you will get it unless you actually buy it......or maybe I'll call them and say I'll join - but only if you give me an H24 model.....

Thoughts on what I should do if I move forward with switching.... Thanks!

12. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    You can't buy it. They're all leased. The $5 fee is for extra receivers. If you only have 1, there is no $5 fee (which you pay whether it's leased or owned). You can say you'll join only if you get an H24, but that doesn't mean that's what you'll get. They'll give you whatever the installer has.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    DirecTv access card department will sell you an owned receiver, however, they, like the leased units, cannot guarantee which unit you will get. I was quoted $499 for a HDDVR.

I believe you can still purchase HR21PRO DVRs new as well.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Exactly. He can't buy the unit he wants.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Personally, Ive never actually talked to DirecTv about buying one, since the new 24's came out. It wouldnt hurt for him to call the Access card team, and see if they will let him buy a H24, or perhaps they will allow him to buy a leased unit from a retailer, and then just charge him the difference to convert it to an owned unit. Directv does some off the wall stuff to make people happy, if you get the right person, on the right day. Cant hurt to ask.

16. RCFlyer

RCFlyer Cool Member

Nov 14, 2007
  17. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    ^ Being generous, it's not a scam but instead is a misleading listing. It's still leased. It doesn't say it on the main page, but be assured, it is still leased.

18. prospect60

prospect60 Legend

Aug 26, 2006
    It's a lease just like getting it straight from DirecTV just like a Down Payment on a Car Lease. DirecTV stills owns the receiver and it must be returned if you discontinue service.
    More than a few people have gotten credits to offset the upfront cost, but it takes a little work and at least one phone call.

19. RCFlyer

RCFlyer Cool Member

Nov 14, 2007
    But I guess it's one way to guarantee that you get an H-24.....is there any other way...?

Thanks for the responses!!!!

G