Where did disk utilities go? (HR44)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by kctucker, Oct 15, 2015.

1. kctucker

kctucker New Member

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    On Tuesday (after a DTV software upgrade), my 4TB external drive stopped working with my HR44-700 receiver. I wanted to run the disk utilities (by pressing select during reboot to go into advanced diagnostics), but virtually all of the testing options disappeared from the diagnostics menu. There was only 3 options with no submenus (clear cache, short SMART test and long SMART test).

There used to be menus and submenus of tests. Guided diagnostics, disk utilities, etc.

I've used them in the past to check my disk, etc. Very useful. Can I still access them some other way?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No they are gone, already being discussed in the other thread about the new soft ware. But really, those other tests really weren't as useful as they seemed in my experience. And if you have to run those probably already know that it has a bad hard drive. Smart test alone will probably tell you what need.

So when your DVR starts up does it go to the internal drive? What are its symptoms? Sometimes they will come up not showing anything because it may be reloading all the databases including those for the playlist. Yeah generally need to let it sit in standby for a few hours to let it reload.

3. kctucker

kctucker New Member

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the response, Inkahouts, but I must disagree that they weren't useful. For one thing, I could at least choose between my internal and external drive and verify that it was reading the one I selected. With this version, I can't. I could also do a filesystem test.

I was able to do a SMART test, and it passed. (Just the short one, though; I might need to try the long one.)

So here's my situation and what's going on:

I have a 4TB drive that HR44 was showing as mostly full (maybe 1% available, and maybe 30-40% that was allowed to be overwritten).

On Tuesday morning, my HR44 locked up. This happens from time to time, although I never know why. I usually just unplug the HR44, restart the external drive (off and on again), and reboot the HR44. Tried the same thing, and it would boot all the way up but show a blank (black) screen. I could open the menu, even look at the guide, but the screen would never go off black. I even tried switching channels, to no avail. Always a black screen, and the HR44 was very slow to responding to commands.

I rebooted without the external drive and it works just fine. So I tried a couple of times again with the external disk, even letting it sit for several hours to see if it would recover, and nada.

I have not tried using a different eSATA enclosure. My disk might be fine and the enclosure could be fried. I hope that's the case...will try another case over the weekend.

4. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    ok, first, I know this is a very old topic, but it is the only relevant one I could find.

How do you get the Internal SMART test on an HR44 to test an external drive now? Do I have to open the receiver and disconnect the internal drive? Because I ran the test with the external drive connected and without and got the FAILED result at the exactly same point (right after it showed 20% complete on both the short and long test).

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Best way to use your PC what you did typing the post.
    Get GSmartControl program and install it on your computer, connect the HDD to the computer and get SMART data, post it here, run short diag and long diag, keep output for posting here