Where have all the young men gone?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Sep 25, 2015.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to this article:

While ratings for Live+3 days and Live+7days likely will add some back, the fact is the "youngsters" have stopped watching "live" TV. Meanwhile the over-50 crowd was there for "NCIS", while far fewer watched "Empire."

The question someone will be asking is how profitable will syndication revenues for a gazillion seasons of "NCIS" compare to ad revenue for a few seasons of "Empire"? The economics of TV after the year 2020 are still a mystery to me.

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    So far this season they won't have to worry about syndication. Will they make it to the end of the first season is the bigger question.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I always wonder about these data sources, though... It says "according to Nielsen"... but IF young men are turning off TV, then why are they being counted by Nielsen at all?

It reminds me of the time my father was going to get some takeout to bring home and I was hungry but my mother was not... so he was just going to bring something for him and I.... but my mother wanted to pick a place that she liked... and I kept saying to her that it would make sense IF she was eating something too, but if he wasn't bringing her anything then why was she trying to pick the place?

So... IF you have Nielsen boxes in homes where people aren't watching TV anymore, what is the point in that? How about moving those boxes to homes of people who ARE watching TV but currently aren't being counted!

4. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I don't believe many - men or women - in that age range (even the ones "brought up" with TV) are watching "conventional" at all anymore. They get everything "current" online (phone/tablet).

They might have a DVR, but probably using TV mostly for gaming and NF/AP streaming.

They share everything, and find anything within seconds of looking for it. Who needs TV anymore?

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I have not gone anywhere.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The only place I went was aging out of the demographic.

7. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Del Webb, born dirt poor, died a billionaire. Selling houses to old people.

Demographic discussions are the refuge of the #4 network.

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The answer to the question are in the lyrics of the song "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?".

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To me it just exposes what everyone should already have always known... that extrapolating real viewing habits from Nielsen boxes is sketchy at best.

Also, if "kids" are watching all this content elsewhere... it means they still want the content they just are going where it is currently cheaper... or free. IF the market shifts enough that direction, then the cost to view via those options will increase and that free/cheap advantage will disappear.

I feel confident that there are more people than ever before actually watching TV programs and movies... they are just trying to do so the cheapest way they can find... and once the companies wise up to that, those price points will go up and then we'll see how many people still want to watch on a mobile device or streaming instead of sat/cable-delivered.

10. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    It's kind of sad, but I think for many if there's a TV on it's just there for "background noise." Most of the "youngsters" still have their faces buried in their devices at all times.

Not me. I don't want to deal with anything more than a remote control requiring my attention while the TV is on (unless the TV is just displaying data from a music channel or something, maybe a rewindable game).

I guess when the rest of us "traditional oldsters" are all finally faded away, the rest will do what they want. Even the younger of my own generation are already half-gone into their devices than paying attention to anything else, let alone the TV in the room. I just can't divide my attention that way.

I've noticed at holiday gatherings for the past 10 or more years, the devices are always out. Why even bother with the gatherings anymore?...

Maybe (to be fair) I just think TV is way too more important than it really is. I'll admit to "wasting" plenty of my life in front of it over the years, especially when HD became available and programming seemed to improve. I guess the same might be able to be said of online content, which I'd still rather watch on TV than a handheld device.

[Maybe I should re-think the gatherings... Wouldn't I rather "escape" into watching my own content of choice than be stuck "socializing" with relatives?]