Where is Everybody?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by swamper, Jun 21, 2007.

1. swamper

swamper New Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Have all the 921 victims given up? There hasn't been a post in over a week! I could look on the bright side and figure all problems have been solved and I'm the only one left still fighting with the L332 download. Nah, that would be hard to believe.

Not to rehash old news but, I've seen no changes, no fixes, and no word on when DISH plans to take care of us. Has everyone switched to 622s? Let's hear something so DISH knows we're still alive and complaining.

2. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    I'm just waiting for a phone call from Dish. The VOOM channels are moving to MPEG4 soon, so they are offering VOOM subscribers who have a 921 the opportunity to upgrade to a "free leased 622." Though, I'm not sure what that means - "free" and "leased" are confusing when used together.

-- Roger

3. penguin44

penguin44 Legend

Oct 29, 2005
    I am still here, and I am still hanging on to my 921.

4. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I'm still here too. My 921 just keeps trucking along so will keep it for now. When the switch to MPEG4 happens, I'll have to decide what to do with it then.
    A free leased 622 doesn't sound so good. Maybe a free 622 would though.

5. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I'm still here, my 921 a-la 322 requires a nightly reboot to stay alive. This is the 8th 921 I've had. Replacing it for a software problem is fruitless - the replacements have all crapped out within months, with the exception of the peaceful time we had s/w version 278.

No 622 in my future unless they decide to drop that stupid "HD Enabling fee".

I got the 921 to get my locals' ATSC signals. It does that for only a DVR fee, so that is why I'm staying with the 921.

6. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Still here. Not seeing the L332 problems (whew!), and every few weeks remember to do a precautionary reboot. When I get the upgrade offer, I'd much rather give up my 501 and keep the 921.

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    UPDATE: My 9th :eek: 921 is on it's way. I hung on to this one believing that it was L332's fault. After a conversation with Tech Support I decided to try a new one again.

8. chris03053

chris03053 AllStar

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm still here too.:)

But my 921 is going. :( They are giving me a 622 for it.

The guy said that i'm not going to pay any lease for it cause they are taking my "owned" 921. I paid $500 for it 3-4 years ago.

And as long as i maintain certain programs i don't pay any lease.

9. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Nobody "pays" for a lease, it's just the fact that the 622 they give you for the 921 you paid over $500 for is not yours to own. Not a fair swap in my book.

10. chris03053

chris03053 AllStar

Dec 5, 2005
    Yeah, i know :(

What else was i going to do? The 921 was my only HD receiver.

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    How much is your 921 worth in terms of resale?

12. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Well #9 came and was bad out of the box! It refused to be authorized.

Unlike most of my previous 921's this one came shipped pre-loaded with L332 (instead of L057 [or was it L058, I know it was L05x]). Anyway while it had the latest software the smart card did not have the latest revision (DNASP 30B), it had DNASP309 and it refused to upgrade.

So anyway #10 is on it's way.

Owning a 921 is an adventure :p

13. Zarom

Zarom Cool Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Meaning they don't charge a monthly lease fee at all if you turn in your owned 921?

14. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    That's the way I understand it. The new programming cost will go up $5 a month because of the way they have re-packaged the HD channels. But your get a $10 credit each month for a few months. So, for a short while anyway, your bill should go down a little.

But they haven't called me yet .....

-- Roger

15. doxieland

doxieland Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Mar 25, 2007

Fingers too tired from all that constant resetting to keyboard compaints...thought I was the only one still suffering....
    works great if you don't use it?????!!!!
    guide freezes up when using, black overlay still happens, constant reboots required - its 7am and I am on first reboot of day...
    and can't just reboot at my convenience; that doesn't seem to work - have to wait till it's had enough and then reboot.

please help us, you techie people - fix this situation or replace the equipment so that it will work with your software (we've had more than a half-dozen 921s) -
    and not at an additional cost. I purchased a working 921 to use with this service - and it should not be turned into a doorstop without a free upgrade replacement.

When gates brought out VISTA, it didn't turn my XP functioning PC into a doorstop. I can decide when and if I want to spend money to upgrade. If that isn't going to be an option with my 921 receiver then it needs to be upgraded graciously by dish with no fees to me....... wouldn't that be the the upstanding way of doing business? Take care of the loyal people that have paid and paid and paid????

whew, gotta get back to my reboot.....
    thanks for the vent, cause I was about to erupt!!!!

doxieland

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Well I got #10 up and running. Had an issue with stretch/zoom almost immediately (although it was quickly resolved by switching to 16X9 and then back to 4X3 #2).

For anyone getting a refurb, they are now shipping it with L332 preloaded. The only fly in the ointment is the smart card revision. Both #9 and #10 were DNASP 103 Rev 309. The correct revision is DNASP 103 Rev 30B. #9 refused to update to Rev 30B which caused the programming to not authorize (even after the message that the receiver is authorizing). The key is to do a front panel reboot after the authorization message disappears.

17. SteveB

SteveB Mentor

Aug 18, 2004
    I am so frustrated, I am thinking about putting a timer on the power cord to reboot the (&(**^% 921 daily, just before I usually watch television. This probably would be tough on the hard drive, but this thing is almost useless anyway. Maybe we should file a class action lawsuit. Getting a replacement system is a pain, since you can't transfer your recordings.

18. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    If you are to the point of having to reboot daily call tech support. They may authorize a replacement (see my posts above). At the risk of jinxing myself after only 2 days it's so far so good with #10 (with the exception of that pesky aspect ratio bug).

I once tried a "preemptive reboot" almost as you are suggesting but just without the timer. It worked (I did not want my 921 to crash during a ball game). BTW: My experience has been the longer you watch one channel without changing channels or paging through the EPG, the longer the 921 will "last" between lockups.

19. paulcdavis

paulcdavis Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 22, 2004
    I sold the 921 I bought in Jan 2004 for $1000 in June 1007 for $100 + shipping to another DBStalk member.

Talk about depreciation!

With all the rebates, the 622 upgrade will cost $0 except for the $20 HDpack.

Paul

20. MrJ

MrJ Cool Member

Mar 12, 2004
    I'm going to upgrade to a 622 some day, whether I have to pay for it or not. I'm just not sure when. The HD announcements are starting to get interesting. My latest 921 has been working since January, although it does need more reboots. I'm slowly moving recordings off of it in preparation for a future upgrade.