Where is French open tennis?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by krazzy, May 31, 2016.

1. krazzy

krazzy New Member

May 31, 2016
    I recently got Directv connection and was very happy with the coverage they were providing on French open tennis 2016 for the first week (I am a huge tennis buff :)).

Channels 701-708 were dedicated to coverage of tennis from different courts and tennis channel (217) was also opened for non-subscribers.

But suddenly this week, when second week of French open starts, all these channels have been disabled and I no longer have any way to watch these matches.

Any idea why they stopped showing these channels?

I am pretty disappointed with Directv now. Previously with my DISHTv I used to get tennis channel coverage for full two weeks of every grand slam.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The French Open is on The Tennis Channel (channel 217). Perhaps it's not in the package you subscribe to.

3. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The bonus stuff was only for the first week:
    http://www.directv.com/sports/tennis

The Tennis Channel is part of the Xtra package, last week there was a free preview of the entire Xtra package, it wasn't just the Tennis Channel.

As for not getting all two weeks, it likely has something to do with Tennis Channel now having the exclusive rights to the French Open instead of sharing the coverage with ESPN and ESPN3. What's the point of having the exclusive rights to one of the grand slams if you let providers give the entire thing away for free to non-subscribers? It's not really that much different when HBO or Showtime have a free preview weekend for the season premiere of one of their original series, or when the out of market sports packages have a free preview at the beginning of the season.

4. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    France.

2 people like this.
  5. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    ESPN has the Rights for coverage in the US; I'm not sure if it's on ESPN or ESPN 2. Monday's tennis action was rained out and some of Tuesday's play (Women's semis) was played in rain.

6. goldwing

goldwing AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    SW OHIO
    I thought ESPN had the rights to all majors EXCEPT the French?

7. tenpins

tenpins AllStar

Jan 19, 2010
    Colorado
    I stand corrected, some how I missed the news.

From the Sports Business Daily- 8-3-2015

"they say the decision is based on the network’s position as the second or third TV outlet covering the tournament — behind NBC and Tennis Channel. That meant ESPN did not always get the matches, or time slots, it wanted, which has led to meager ratings for its coverage of the Grand Slam."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/08/03/Media/ESPN-French-Open.aspx