1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is home?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by ProfLonghair, Apr 28, 2009.

Which do you call home?

1. Where you were bon/raised?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Where you live?

32.9%
  3. Neither/Both (please explain)

67.1%
  1. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Simple, slightly philosophical question. My wife and I were born and raised in neighboring suburbs (near Toledo, OH), and now have a home we have live in for 8 years that is 2.5 hours away, near Columbus, OH.

She still calls Toledo home. I call Columbus home.

For those that do not live near their place of birth/raising, which do you call home?

2. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Where the heart is?? :lol:

Born, raised, still live in Memphis... So I guess I can't answer... :)

3. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    If you say where is your home, i think where is your house located. If you say where are you from then i think where i was born. it all depends on how you say it i think.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given that a substantial portion of the US population lives within 50 miles of where they were born, the answer is something that each has to answer for themselves.

Other than when I spent summers at the coast and time served in college, I've lived in the same house all my life.

Perhaps a distinction between "home" and "home town" is where you're hung up.

Then again, some people think home is where their parents live and that's fine too.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Agreed, but it also depends on the context of "where are you from?"

I grew up in Michigan and lived there on and off for 35 years. I also lived in Montana, Oregon, California and Florida for 2-3 year stretches. Now, I've been in Texas for 9 years.

When I'm traveling and people ask me where I'm from, I say Dallas.

If I'm in Dallas and someone asks me where I'm from, I say Michigan.

When someone asks were I live (regardless of where I'm at), I say Dallas.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    To me, home is where I live at the moment -- where I hang my hat, so to speak.
    Anywhere else is where I used to live.

To put it another way, when leaving a bar, saying 'I'm going home', home is where I go, unless I get a better offer! :p

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We moved so much when I was young, there is no place I'd call home as a sort of ancestral home.

On the other hand, I was born and raised in California and live here now, so I'm a Californian. My wife was born and raised in Pennsylvania and even though she's lived in California nearly 40 years, she's a Pennsylvanian.

But "home" for us since we've been together has always been where we live together.

8. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    My wife refers to the town where she grew up as "home". Yet if we are on vacation, at the end of the day she'll often say "let's go home", referring to the hotel.

9. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    I spent my first 35 years in Los Angeles and the last 4 in Phoenix. Don't even need to think about it, Phoenix is my home.

10. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Back in my travlin' days, the hotel du jour was my home. I've
    referred to many a hostel as 'home', even if for just a night.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Home is where I put my pants on every day.

12. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    I was born and raised in Centralia, WA and finally moved away when I got my job in Beaverton, OR back in '01.

Not a real clean place but I had some good times there.

13. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    DW and I were both born and raised in New Jersey, and still have family on both sides there. BUT, we've lived in the CIncinnati area for longer than we lived in NJ, so this is home. When we visit, we talk about going TO NJ, and then we can't wait to get back HOME.

14. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Home is the house I live in.

15. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    I call the house me and mine live in home, but call Norfolk, VA my hometown. Been in the Midwest 16 years, still consider myself a Virginian...

16. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not sure how to vote. I've lived in NC all of my life, most of that in the general area where I am now... and some moves before I was old enough to remember.

I tend to think of "home" as where I've lived most of my life... whereas I think of where I live now as just being my house.

It is somewhat telling, though, when sometimes I dream of living elsewhere... some places I dream about more than others... which I tend to think enforces my idea that "home" is where I lived most of my life.

17. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "Home is where you can go when you have no place else to go."

"The place you used to live is not your home, unless you can go back."

"Home is where the heart is."

18. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and take your pants off every night!

19. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Ditto here.

Only not Memphis.

For me, home is where I was born & raised, as well as where I live, since they're the same place! ;)

20. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    As someone who has grown up in a military family and didn't live in any place longer than 3 years (though I've lived in South Carolina for the past 13 years...)... I really have to say that home is where I'm currently living now...All i can say is that i'm 'from' Texas though. I was born there, but only lived in Texas (3 cities) for 5 or 6 years (Lubbock, Arlington, Austin)

As my dad says, "Home is where my family is, and my family is currently in Columbia, SC"