1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where is the &%@#@ Cardinals game??!?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by marvilyn, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marvilyn

marvilyn New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    I have purchased the special baseball package but I can never seem to find the damn Cardinals game - has someone found the Cardinals game today????

2. GatorPhan

GatorPhan AllStar

Jun 30, 2006
  3. marvilyn

marvilyn New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    I'm sort of getting that - but the game is being played right now and I'm not in any applicable blackout for that market as I am on the east coast and I can't figure out why Direct TV isn't showing me that game. Does Direct TV selectively limit which games it broadcasts?

4. Fredfa

Fredfa AllStar

Mar 27, 2003
    Generally -- although not always -- games broadcast by the local channels are not part of the package.

Today's game is broadcast by WB11, hence it is not part of the MLB EI package.

You can watch it on the mlb.com TV package, however.

5. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I thought one of the teams could dictate if and how there team was broadcast. I thought I read that sometime back in an article. Can't remember if it was the home or visiitng team. I very well could be wrong though, it's been awhile since I read that article.

6. GatorPhan

GatorPhan AllStar

Jun 30, 2006

And.. just as an FYI.. DirectTV has nothing to do with which games are aired. MLB Extra Innings is a cross platform package which is the exact same on D*, E* and cable co's...

7. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    That is incorrect. The provider must have a contract with the RSN they use in the package. E* does not have a contract with YES Network and does not use that feed in MLB Extra Innings. If the other team is on a domestic RSN which they have contract with, E* uses that feed. The same is true for MASN Nationals. For the most part the games are the same, but one can see some possible situations where D* and E* may not have the same games all of the time.

In the situation above, the Royals and Cardinals were both on OTA stations and therefore not available in MLB Extra Innings.

There are a some teams which sometimes simulcast on the OTA and a RSN. These are the Mariners, Twins and Rangers. When this happens the game can be in MLB Extra Innings.

8. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    I know that for years there have been no OTA games as part of the MLB EI package. Has anyone from MLB ever said why this is the case? If the NBA and NHL packages (and MLB.TV) can show OTA telecasts, what is preventing MLB E from doing the same?

9. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    My guess is that if they were ever to restore OTA feeds to MLB EI that mlb.tv would cease to be the cash cow it is to the owners. Who would buy it at that point??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.