1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where, O, Where Did My Sling Adapter Go?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by sregener, Dec 12, 2012.

1. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Just a few days after adding the Dish OTA adapter to the Hopper, the red light is now off on my Sling Adapter and will not come back on.

When I got the Sling Adapter, it would only work in one USB port. When I got the USB OTA Adapter, it would only work in that same USB port, but then the Sling Adapter worked in the port under it. Now only the OTA Adapter is working.

I've waited through a couple automatic reboots and nothing has changed.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Sounds like a USB problem on the Hopper, unfortunately.

3. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    Have you unplugged the Hopper from the electrical outlet for 10 seconds and plugged it back in to have the receiver reboot? When was your Hopper installed? If it still will not work, please PM me your account number so I can send you a replacement receiver. Please let me know. Thanks.

4. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Now that I'm not recording anything, I did some troubleshooting. First, I did the unplug/plug reset, which changed nothing. Checking the System Diagnostics screen shows the Slingbox status as "INVALID".

Then I unplugged it and removed the OTA adapter, plugging the Slingbox back into the port that it had been working in before I installed the OTA adapter. Plugged it back in. The Slingbox light did not light, and the status was still "INVALID".

Then I removed the Slingbox adapter, and plugged the OTA adapter back in. After a reboot, the OTA adapter is now working.

At this point, I believe it is the Slingbox adapter, not the Hopper, that is failed, since I can plug the Slingbox adapter into a known good USB port and it still will not work. The Slingbox did work for about a week after installing the OTA adapter, and it did work when I was upgraded to S230, so I don't believe the problem is software-based. I'll contact Ray via PM and see what can be done at this point.

5. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Can you try the OTA adapter in the other USB ports?

6. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    The OTA adapter did not work in the other port, even with the Sling Adapter connected to the first port (and working.)

I had read somewhere that the Hopper was fussy about which ports were used, and I've had to fiddle with them to figure out which one would work in what configuration. The only one that worked with both attached was OTA adapter in the top and Sling in the bottom. Reversing it never worked.

Dish is sending me a new Sling Adapter, since it is still under warranty. If that doesn't work, looks like I'll be trying to use an EHD to offload my recorded content and replacing the Hopper itself.

7. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

8. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    The replacement Sling adapter arrived yesterday. Plugged it in where the old one was and the red light lit up within five seconds. Streaming video again without issue.

9. Cardini

Cardini AllStar

Aug 14, 2002
    I had the same thing, and the same result. New Sling adapter from Dish at no cost arrived in 48 hours. All is good again.