1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's The Beef? (D* 3D)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by spartanstew, Oct 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    From HDTV Magazine:

Once that was set up (the 3DTV), we donned the glasses and scanned through all three channels. The first one consisted of a DirecTV 3D logo sitting in mid-air, which was interesting to watch for all of five seconds. There was no crawl, or barker, to tell us what programming was coming up later.

The second channel, n3D (sponsored by Panasonic), was running a loop of content promoting 3D concerts featuring Peter Gabriel and Jane’s Addiction from the Guitar Center, wherever that is. These were interspersed with promos for a couple of nature shows. And that was it.

The third channel was running an on-demand promo for Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D for $4.99. And that was it.

Story lamenting the amount of 3D (not just on D*), HERE

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Agreeded, just like when HDTV first started out the same problem, lack of programming. To be fair to DirecTV there is the preview loop but that's not on all day, there is some other programming, but it gets repeated over and over and over.

They also didn't mention there is a PPV channel, but again it just is reshowing the same programming over and over. They also didn't mention the DirecTV on Demand channel, but all it has is only four of the programs that you can see on ch 103. And on Saturday's ESPN 3D has one CFB game with basketball supposed to be coming.

So why it's not great it's not as bad as the story makes it out. At least, except for the PPV channel, DirecTV's not charging anything for the 3D channels (wonder how long that will last).

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm real close to buying a 3D plasma, but I'm worried 3d will fade out.

4. Gocanes

Gocanes AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    The only reason 3D TV exists is because the price on LCD and Plasma TVs was getting too low and the manufactures realized that they couldn't get people to pay more by making the refresh rate higher. They needed a feature they could charge more for that doesn't cost that much to include in the set. Enter 3D....

For the most part 3D programing is being subsidized by the TV manufacturers to try and get people to buy 3D TVs. Long term, 3D TV doesn't have a future unless people are willing to pay more for 3D programming (i.e. will people pay some monthly fee for ESPN 3D if the same games are on in 2D). I don't think it has a future until glasses free 3D is perfected to where you can walk around the room and move your head and still get the 3D effect. I don't want to wear sunglasses around my house all the time watching TV.

5. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    3D is not dead. soon very soon you will not need the glasses to view the 3D content. :)

6. Gocanes

Gocanes AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    While there have been some products announced where this is true, they will not be the solution I am talking about. They have very limited viewing areas where you can see the 3D. Think about it, in order to do 3D without glasses they need to send narrow beams of light so that the left eye picture is only seen by your left eye and vice versa.

Trading glasses for having to sit in particular locations with your head perfectly straight isn't really any better. In order to have true glasses free 3D the tv would have to track where each viewer's eyes are and be able to direct an image to their location. I don't know if the technology exists to be able to dynamically steer beams like that.

For one viewer it might not be that hard to do but when you have to account for multiple viewers it gets complex.

The other thing that works against 3D is there are a lot of people who don't like watching 3D. Completely honestly it's a cool effect but it loses its luster after 5 or 10 minutes. That's the other problem. Binocular 3D does not look like reality - it looks like a special effect. A 3D football game doesn't look like you are at the game, it looks like you are watching a game filmed in 3D and there is a big difference.

7. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    The actual reason 3D has become more popular as of recent, is the motion picture industry and its lagging viewership. Secondary to this are some significant strides that have been made in motion picture display technologies, mostly related to digital projectors which are capable of much higher quality 3D projection that older techniques allowed. Theaters and the movie industry see 3D as a way to better capture an audience. With the advent of 3D at movie theaters, why wouldn't it be desirable to offer that experience in the home theater environment? That's why many display manufactures are responding to the call for home 3D. Unfortunately, the availability of 3D features is being led by the motion picture industry (in making 3D movies), and motion picture companies that want a maximum return for their products (movies). So far, there just aren't that many 3D movies available - period. It's a "catch 22" scenario in that motion picture studios are waiting for more adoptees in the home theater world, and the home theater world is waiting for more movies before they adopt. Directv lags behind even that since it can't immediately pick up the 3D features out there without some fair amount of bargaining with the studios (it ain't gonna happen), so you as a 3D user will have to wait.
    The real market for 3D right now is in BluRay and it remains to be seen if that takes off (I think it will), but satellite broadcast 3D will follow that, making its debut some two or more years out. Just be patient until then and enjoy what becomes available on BluRay.