Where's the Locast app?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by the2130, Oct 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Locast is now available in Atlanta, but I'm not finding the app for it on my HR54. I can access it in a web browser and through the app on my Roku 3, but I recall reading that DirecTV has an app.

2. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    You have to press the left arrow key to bring up the TV APP menu. Then arrow down to "locast" and select it. Then from your PC or mobile phone enter the URL and code that is displayed on that screen. Then it will activate access to locast from this app.

Keep in mind that locast is only available in select markets. And they ask you to donate on the screen that appears.

3. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    Not sure if it works the same on the HR54 as it does on a desktop/mobile but if you don't donate at least $5 a month then you'll get a spinning beachball every 12 minutes and have to reload to get another 12 minutes. Technically, Locast is free but you have to donate (desktop/mobile) to avoid the beachball. I'll be curious to hear if it's different via DirecTV.

4. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    It’s still on my HR54 in the apps section. Still don’t have Pandora back though.

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Perform a keyword search for CLEARMYBOX on your HR54. This will clear the guide data database. Allow 24 hours for everything to reload.

6. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Interesting, I have the Pandora App, its under the Menu > Apps. Locast is only listed in the Directv Apps that are accessed with the right arrow button. Maybe I need to try CLEARMYBOX.

7. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    The right arrow key brings up the apps menu on my HR54, but there is no Locast app. It only recently became available in Atlanta. I can access it from a web browser, but I would like to try the DirecTV app. I will even consider the $5 monthly donation to get rid of the donation request screen that pops up every time I access one of the channels. I wasn't aware of the spinning beachball coming up every 12 minutes if you don't donate, but $5 a month doesn't seem like a lot to pay to access local channels, especially if there is a channel blackout on DirecTV or if weather should knock out my satellite reception, as it sometimes does.

If I can figure out how to access the Locast app on my HR54, I'll report back as to whether the spinning baseball appears if you don't donate.

8. the2130

the2130 Active Member

Dec 17, 2014
    The Locast app now appears in the TV apps on my HR54. After activating it and selecting the app again from the menu, I get "Please wait, Loading Channels", then it disappears and I'm back to the DirecTV feed and I never get the Locast guide. Am I doing something wrong?

machavez00 likes this.
  9. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I get similar results. The guide on my HR44 and my mother’s HR24 comes up. After selecting a channel, then it disappears.