1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whew! We ain't so bad after all..

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Halfsek, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halfsek

Halfsek Hall Of Fame

Oct 29, 2002
    From the Telegraph.

Isn't that what the Euro's say about us?

But, to have some sort of balance:
    My personal experience...
    As I have never been to France (and have no plans to visit), I've only met French who are now living in America. Every one has been absolutely great. As I'm in retail, I meet many, many people. And I have to admit that the French are some of my best customers.

But it's always fun to make fun of the Euro French. :)

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "Aromatic" comes to mind.

3. Dang The Hung

Dang The Hung Godfather

May 8, 2005
    4real, someone needs to introduce those people to a bar of soap

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    From what I've heard, its the people from in and around Paris that are the rude ones. You get away from that City and they are nice regular people.

5. BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris Icon/Supporter

Apr 20, 2004
    I spent an April weekend in France with my wife (now ex) in 1998; this was during the war in Yugoslavia. She was five months pregnant at the time.

We fell in love with the city, and I spoke un peu du Français, which probably endeared me as an American to the few Parisians I approached to ask for directions. The few French I encountered were nice and polite. The hotel staff was très amical. I would like to think that I would find the experience the same today (sans the ex-wife, of course :grin: ) as I did then; but I think speaking a little bit of the local language is always a good when travelling abroad.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I can't think of a better way to totally waste my time than (not then) learning to speak French. I can't even put my lips in that contorted, unnatural shape. It's not the language of love, it's the sound of licking the bottom of a garbage can. When I watch a French film, I turn off the sound and turn on a blender full of rocks.

Call me selective. :shrug:

7. sampatterson

sampatterson Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 27, 2002
    I have traveled many times to France and have never had any issue with people in or outside of Paris. If you act "overbearing, etc etc etc" yes, they probably will treat you differently. But if you use manners like you are in someone else's home (which, of course you are when you travel), most don't have issues. I have also found that contrary to what many say, if you try to speak french (even basic basic basic french) they do appreciate it and really try to help.

8. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Je parle un peu francais aussi.

Just about all the phrases I learned when travelling there as a student (I spent a semester in Brussels which was spoken by 1/3 of the population there) started with "Ou est..... (Where Is) & "Je voudrais acheter.... (I would like to buy).

We have TV5, but we have been watching it less lately.......

9. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Do the French act that way when they come to our country? I doubt it. They are rude . I have been to Paris and it's true. They hate America. But they have for years. But don't be upset by it. What do they really provide for the world? Anything ?

10. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I'm sure they are real nice to tourists and business travelers, after all the hotels and restaurants make money off Americans. Just don't try to haggle with a French engineer. We made and sold industrial parts that are used in glass bottle factories all over Europe. They routinely screwed stuff up and blamed it on US. There were constant problems with 2 hour lunches, leaving early, taking off the entire month of August. If one of us called in sick for a day or two and couldn't help them with an order they got pissy but it was ok for them to use their 6 weeks of vacation in the middle of an important project. 99% of the time we could trace a screw up back to them but they never would accept the fact that a bunch of redneck, hick engineers from Texas might just be a little smarter than them.

I know all French people aren't like that and I shouldn't lump them all together but gosh dangit, I've never dealt with such smug, arrogant people in my life.

Besides, Chirac is a sissy! :D

11. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    Between 1995 and 2002 exports from the US to France increased by 33%; imports from France went up 64%.

The U.S. and France share many trade similarities, particularly their global standing as the world's top 2 exporters in 3 very important sectors: defense products, agricultural goods, and services. Franco-American trade is also remarkable for its symmetry, as 6 of the top 10 exports are the same each way.

France has the fourth largest economy in the world after the U.S., Japan and Germany.

France is the second largest exporter of agricultural products in the world after the U.S.

In recent years, the U.S. has been the largest direct investor in France. In 2002, France was the second largest foreign investor in the U.S.

The world invests in France: in 2003, France was the second largest destination of foreign investment in the world.

French companies employ approximately 650,000 Americans. Among foreign countries doing business in the US, France employs the third largest number of Americans.

But that's about all...

12. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    When my sister visited as part of a senior trip in high school, she found it similar to how you described. She went as part of a French class/club, so everyone had a decent knowledge of the language. Most people, especially shop owners, were more then happy to let the class "practice" their bad French, but only if the class would let the shopkeepers "practice" their bad English.

13. sampatterson

Aug 27, 2002
    :hurah: :lol: :hurah:

14. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I have found that much of what many Americans consider rude behavior by the French is purely a misunderstanding of culture. Just plain culture shock. I have been to France 3 times now. I have never been treated rudely. I have been treated "matter-of-fact" and generally emotionless. But you know what...THAT'S THE WAY THEY ARE! It's not to be cause they are rude or arrogant or whatever. It's fun to have a favorite whipping boy. I make as much fun of the French as the next guy. But...

I will say that on one of my trips to France, I was on a tour bus from Le Havre to Paris. We stopped at a roadside similar to what you might find at a Stateside turnpike rest stop. I was so embarased to be with the crowd of Americans who could not for the life of them understand why their money was being refused! These idiots were trying to pay for purchases in a French rest area with American coins! Not only that, they were getting angry at the clerk for not accepting the foreign currency. They were bitching and moaning at this poor guy for enough time that the French tour guide finally exchanged their money for them out of her own pocket. Essentially coins are WORTHLESS since banks and most other institutions do not exchange or deal with coins.

Anyway, imagine the reverse. Some tour bus full of French people get off at a NJ turnpike and start to get loud and obnoxious because the NJ clerk refuses to take Euro or Franc coins! Imagine if the NJ clerk even offered to take Euro bills but the tourists didn't think that was good enough?

Generally when I travel, it is my fellow American tourists that make me ashamed. It is 100% due to lack of knowledge of different cultures and how people interact around the world.

See ya
    Tony

15. sampatterson

Aug 27, 2002
    Amen! I travel extensively (62 countries so far) and watching culturally uneducated american travelers always remind me of why many foreigns think that we are arogant, overbearing, bullish, demanding, unreasonable, et al.

With that said, I can also say that I have seen many foreign travelers who come to our country that could also have those adjectives used on them !!!

16. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    I suspect much of our "problem" with the French is when we look at them, we see a little too much of ourselves, an overly arrogant, nationalistic people proud of their history, society, cultural heritage and achievements, and generally condescending and oblivious to all others.

And so, just as we, AND the French, refuse to recognize our own respective faults and failings, those same traits in others seem to leap out at us like so many disembodied frog's legs.;)

And BTW, living in Hawaii I can tell you American travelers don't need to cross a national border to be "arogant, overbearing, bullish, demanding, unreasonable, et al." And to that I'll add pig ignorant. Sometimes I swear half of the mainland visitors don't understand they're still IN the USA with talk of "back in the states", how much postage is needed to send a postcard back, and even questions of what currency "we" use!:mad:

17. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004

nope...they are jackasses in the south of france, too.

18. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    on another note, we (Americans), are bad about not wanting to adjust to the cultures of other people. this is not right.

If you want to go to a nice country, try Hungary. They are really nice and the country is great (way under rated).

19. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    See? It's our fault. :lol:

Give me a break.

20. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Their biggest export was Zsa Zsa and Eva Gabor and without Eva we never would've had Green Acres. :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.