1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Directv HDDVR's have built in wifi?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by wipeout, Oct 18, 2011.

1. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    Is this available now or in the future? It would be nice to have this built in so that nothing further needs to be purchased.

2. jameskelly

jameskelly Mentor

Feb 16, 2008
    None.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DIRECTV HD DVRs are meant to be connected with either DECA or wired Ethernet. Anything else isn't likely to consistently qualify for MRV.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    As harsh points out, since DirecTV DVRs are designed to provide Internet access through the cable, and you have to run a piece of cable to them in order to get television, what would be the point of wireless ethernet?

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Wireless would be fine for Internet access as it will almost always outrun anyone's broadband connection.

The key issue is providing a stable framework to support MRV. Wireless networking cannot promise such an enviroment.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I am kind of suprised they didn't include wireless in the new HR34, but am glad they went ahead and included the ability for the ethernet port to work as a bridge between the DECA network and your ethenet network. My only guess is they decided it is best to keep wireless as a seperate unit so it can be more easily updated when the next wireless standard comes out.

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Not sure about you guys but I'd rather not pay for a wireless connection in every IRD when the cable that you connect anyway will handle it just fine. I'd rather buy a cheap little DECA than sub the cost of integrated wireless cards and the truck rolls they would bring with them.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If wireless were up to the task, it would certainly be a lot cheaper to include than MoCA.

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I agree it would be too much to include in every receiver. However, I think in every HR34 it would make sense. Think about it, the HR34 is likely to be the only receiver in a home once the thin clients are released. So you only have to run coax from the dish to the HR34. If they want internet access to the HR34 then you have to run another coax run to wherever their router is and install a DECA there, or you have to install a splitter and a wireless DECA adapter near the HR34 to get it online. If the HR34 just had wireless built in you wouldn't have to worry about that, you would just have to hook it up to the person's wireless network.

Then the only other thing the DirecTV tech would have to worry about is running coax to any DirecTV thin clients you might need. The thin clients would have internet access through the DECA network and the HR34's wireless connection.

My guess is customers are going to have to be responsible for hooking up any RVU clients other than the DirecTV C30. I don't see DirecTV trying to train their techs on how to set up all the different TV, Blu-Ray, AVR clients once the manufacturers start adding RVU to them.

10. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    I ask about wireless because running ethernet from my office would not be possible. My HR20-100 and HR20-700 have features that involve hooking up to my Verizon 3Meg DSL service. I am not well versed on this aspect of the service so please bear with me.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Well DirecTV's idea is to upgrade to the connected home networking, which uses the coax between the receivers and has a wireless bridge to your home network/internet.

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Don't worry wipeout, you don't need to run ethernet anywhere. DirecTV will just install a wireless cinema connection kit, which will hook up to the coaxial cable they install, and then connects over WiFi to your current wireless router. That will give you internet access to all of your DirecTV receivers that are hooked up over DECA.

13. Rtm

Rtm Godfather

Oct 18, 2011
    If theyd only start using gigabit Ethernet ports on their receivers :(

14. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    DIRECTV does have a Wireless Digital Cinema Connection Kit (Link).

This allows all the receivers in your setup to connect via WiFi to your home network.

You would need a SWiM connected system. To tell if you have SWiM press the Dash button on your remote any you should see a message that includes "SWiM Connected". If you don't have a SWiM setup this will still allow a single receiver to connect to your home network.

Mike

15. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    As mentioned before, it's not likely that DIRECTV will ever put Wifi in any receiver because their standard is networking using DECA with a bridge to your internet. That bridge can either be via wired CCK or WDCCK.

There is no advantage of having it built into each receiver when networking can be done through the cable the receiver uses to receive it's satellite signal.

16. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    So that all receivers on the account could report in monthly without a phone line or ethernet plugged into them.

17. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If you have the Wireless Connection Kit (or wired) on your DECA system, then they all report in.

18. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Why?

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    There are some drawbacks to wireless, also- not the least of which is having an extra bit of hardware involved.

20. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    _The Wireless Digital Cinema Connection Kit costs $80 bucks. Yikes.
    _I guess the question I should ask as a Family Package customer is what is the advantage of having the Directv Cinema capability?
    _I see they advertise over 6000 movies available. Are these movies free?
    _Since the package I have is really useless other then getting my locals will I have access to the movies in Directv Cinema if I am not currently subscribing to much in the way of channels with the Family Package?
    _I have limited funds which is why I have this package. I was hoping Cinema would improve the experience.